weird mis 93 2.4

93 Pickup 2.4, 211,000 miles, manual trans, 2wd.

The truck will run fine for hours, then while driving at any speed it will cut out as if the coil wire were arcing, then back to running fine. It's not dependent on RPM, speed, or throttle position although it hasn't happened at idle. It starts well and runs smoothly.

What I've done so far:

New cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Ohmed pickup coil in distributor OK Checked pickup coil air gap. OK Ohmed high tension coil OK Replaced high tension coil and ignitor with known good one. Checked for computer codes. None Checked timing. OK Checked connections on coil, distributor, computer. Adjusted valves.

Any ideas?

Have you checked fuel system and throttle body for clean? Some plug wires will cross-fire if laid on top of each other and not seperated with looms. If your wiggle ignition (key) with engine running does it affect? Sometimes ignition switch will cause this when starting to fail. Had a Chevvy once that would die randomly and restart right away, found a shorted wire where it went through a hole and grommet had broken away. Try bending/moving wires with engine running for possible short. Check all grounds, some may be hidden under battery tray, to make sure they are good. Remove, clean and reinstall. Also check all plastic plugs for sensors and etc. for good contact. Lube with dielectric grease when re-plugging them. HTH, Dave

Reply to
davidj92

Thanks David, good suggestions.

Cleaned the throttle body a few weeks ago. Plug wires are new in in the separating thingees. Ignition switch, never thought of that. Grounds cleaned as well as battery terminals. Sensor plugs cleaned and checked.

It appears the problem was the fuel pump. Maybe not making enough pressure or occationally sticking? Last time it started missing I noticed a slight ping like a lean running engine. I put in a pump and it seems to have cured the problem. I'll find out for sure next week when I'm driving it on a 1500 mile trip.

davidj92 wrote:

davidj92