What is a Hilux?

Hi.

I've had a 1990 Toyota 4x4 Truck 2 door short bed for about 1 year. Several persons including a mechanic, parts store clerk and a parking lot attendant have referred to it as a "Hilux". Its 4 cylinder and gas powered. The owner manual referes to it simply as a Toyota Truck.

What is a Hilux" Espeacially for the year 1990? The totota web site does not list them but my usenet searches seem to indicated they are currently sold elsewhere. Is it a general term in the states for any old 4x4 Toyota truck before Tacoma and Tundra came out?

Thanks! Please email if possible too!

Reply to
Fred

Hilux is basically the name of the pickup models outside the North American market:

Roger Brown

Hi.

Thanks for that great link.. According to it, a true 1990 hilux does not have independent front suspension. Mine looks like it does so I guess it IS a general term used by some in the USA to pre Tacoma and Tundra 4x4's.

Thanks

Reply to
Fred

I'm old enough to remember when the (relatively rare) Toyota pickups in the

1960's (?) actually had a nameplate that read 'HiLux' on 'em. From the 1970's up until the introduction of the Tacoma series in the mid-1990's, the Toyota truck was simply titled 'Toyota Pickup' in Toyota's literature, etc. I always had the impression 'HiLux' was used all along as the model name for the trucks sold outside the NA market.
Reply to
Dr. Randall Whitaker
1970's : up until the introduction of the Tacoma series in the mid-1990's, the Toyota : truck was simply titled 'Toyota Pickup' in Toyota's literature, etc. I always : had the impression 'HiLux' was used all along as the model name for the trucks : sold outside the NA market.

Weren't these those atrocious looking trucks with the turn signal perched upon the front fenders?

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Yep... those fender mounted turn signals were UGLY!!!! I believe they used the 18R engine though my memory is not 100% accurate. I also recall the "Hilux" badge on these early trucks.

The first of the "modern" Toyota Pickups began with the 1975 model.

Reply to
Burp

I have a 76 pu that I use as a daily driver. The Toyota shop manuals refer to it as a HiLux. It was sold new in Oregon.

Reply to
max-income

My '78 Toyota RV is also listed as a HiLux when I go to the local autoparts store. 20R runs like a top. Simple and easy for DIY'er to work on. I wish they all were still like that.

Reply to
chuck