What is it and why is it leaking oil?

I have a '95 4x4 that has suddenly started leaking oil (266K mi), started right after a cheapie oil change On inspection the oil seems to be coming from a round assembly just above the oil pan on the drivers side. Any one know what the assembly is and/or why it has started leaking? Other than the obvious,( the 16 yo minimum wage working in the pit was screwing around with it.) TIA

Reply to
Larry Talkington

That wouldn't be the oil filter would it???? give it a littie torque and that sould tighten it up.

I've also heard of shops putting on the wrong filter and the threads not engaging so the thing fell out on the way home and the engine burned up.

I do all my own oil changes for this reason.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

"Larry Talkington" sez:

Sounds like the oil filter. The cheapie oil change place knuckle-dragger may have:

- Not tightened it enough

- Tightened it too much

- Not wetted the seal before installation

- Not properly cleaned the mating surfaces allowing dirt to get between the seal and the mating face

- Cross threaded it and just cranked it down anyway (worst of possibilities)

Take it back there (if you dare) and have them try and do it right.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Reply to