what is the right Sequoia tire pressure?

I have been following the recommended tire pressure of 32PSI for the 2004 Sequoia and just realized it was too low. The tire ,especially the rear, always looks low at 32 PSI and all four tires totally lost the outer edge tire marks. Toyota technician specially reminded me to watch the tire pressure at twice a month.

All four tires pressure measured 34 PSI after I drove home and they looks inflated and more normal to me. What exactly is the pressure I should follow? I am very confused with what to follow. The tires I have are the original Dunlop AT20 Grandtrax.

Reply to
harry

Look at the sidewall and it will tell you what pressure to use. The tire manfacture knows more about the tires on your car than the auto manfacture does.

Propert inflation will give even tread wear and there for more tire milage.

The low tire pressure as recomended by some will give better (softer) ride but causes the tire to cup in the center and roll creating more heat than if the tire was inflated properly allowing it to roll smothly.

Excess heat is an enemy of your tires.

C.

Reply to
C.

The "sidewall" label says 32 PSI. My question is who do I follow? I imagine that 32 PSI was posted by Toyota based on the tire they put on the new car. What if I change to other brand name/type of tires? That new tire may have different pressure suggestion. The label is no longer useful in that situation...?

Reply to
harry

The sidewall number is not from Toyota - it's the max psi by the tire manufacturer. There is also treadware and load ratings - there's info on that over at

The pressures listed in your user manual are the recommended pressures by Toyota (and are the best place to start).

Rule of thumb as I understand is to follow vehicle mfg specs. Tires specs are simply max pressures/loads. There is a whole science on how engineers match a tire and pressure to chassis settings on a vehicle. They are for the most part a lot of compromises that work best for a larger variety of situations.

When you start playing with different tire sizes/profiles, then you get to start experimenting slightly with different pressures - I used to run a few lbs over vehicle mfg specs on a small sedan that was lowered, etc., however I kept the pressure difference between front and back the same.

Tall high profile tires are usually squatty looking - it's those 30 series 'rubber band' tires on the Civics that have so little side wall there's nothing to squat in the first place.

There's probably some dialog at

too (I haven't looked)...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

When I used the term "Sidewall" I am refering to the sidewall of the tire. You can change tires and that tire may have a different pressure rtating than the tires that came on the car from the factory.

Remember Ford Explorer and their tire problems? Underinflated tires can heat up excessivly.

go this website and read the first paragraph about tire pressure

C.

Reply to
C.

Just my 2 cents (I'm not a tech, just an enthusiast). None of my comments are meant to be argumentative...

Sidewall numbers are only max pressure when the tires are cold. The vehicle oem tire pressure specs should be for an empty vehicle (well, add a driver and a single passenger). If you were hauling a load of bricks, then 1. you shouldn't exceed total hauling capacity, and 2. raise rear tire pressure to max tire rating (sidewall number).

I'm preaching starting with vehicle mfg tire pressure specs, which also means when replacing tires to not use load ratings that are lower than factory ratings - you could, but you would be on your own for doing the math on tire pressure and carrying capacities.

Based on the assumption the original poster mentions different sized tires, I'm assuming he's talking a slight difference and he's not running either extreme of ultra low profile (lowered vehicle) or super balloon tires on a lifted truck.

IMHO Ford's choice with the Exploder (Explorer) to use lower tire pressures to make the truck ride smoother (car like) was a major goof. It was just cheaper than re-engineering the chassis. And the general public continues to drive SUV's and pickups like cars - they don't seem to understand the difference in the characteristics of cars and trucks. Trucks (and I still refer to SUV's as trucks) are bricks with wheels - they don't accelerate, turn or stop like a car.

You probably see as many examples of poor driving in your area as I do - in the first few years of the SUV craze I lost count of how many of them I saw on their roof's because of driver error.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

You said "sidewall label". There is usually no label on tires, except for the one that they have when they're new, to help the mechanic spot the right ones on the shelf.. Are you looking at a sticker inside your door or elsewhere, or at the side of the tire itself?

Let's use some real numbers so we're not comparing apples to squid. I just looked at the Nokian 265-70/R16 tires on my Tacoma. It says max cold pressure is 51 lbs. I'm not clairvoyant and I don't know what size tires you have, but I'd be real surprised if they said max pressure was 32. I run mine at 35 in the summer, and they reach around 39 lbs after driving lots of miles on a real hot day. In the winter, I tweak them up to 36-37 depending on the kind of snow we're having.

If possible, be sure to check & fill your tires when they're cold, after driving maybe a mile or two. If you're too far from a gas station to do that, then you have to observe how much they change between home and the gas station, and adjust accordingly.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Here (Rochester NY), we see the roofs of lots of SUVs because they seem to be attracted to ditches in snowy weather. "Better in snow". Yeah...right. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Just as an FYI - the PSI rating on the sidewall of the tire is actually the right one and more accurate than the MFG recommended one. That PSI takes into consideration heavy load, cold or warm. This is the result of the firestone/ford issues. Manufacturers are now really careful what rating they put down and the tire is tested with over 40% margin. So going with the sidewall PSI is your best bet, you can even go a few PSI above that.

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Unfortunately, there is never a "right" pressure for a given model. MFG recommendations are based on safety concerns, comfort, and other things. There's only one way to determine the optimal pressure for a given tire on a given model.

You need a flat, level paved area that is at least 2 car-lengths long. Make a puddle of water, (or even paint), in front of each tire that is long enough to wet the tire all the way around. Then roll the car forward through the puddle and continue forward for a bit, but not so far that the rear tracks over-write the front ones. When properly inflated, the tread should lift from the pavement at the edges, for about 1/4 -1/2" in from the tread shoulder. This pressure will always be higher than the recommendations, and will make for a slightly harder ride, but will increase tread life considerably and give you the best handling.

Rear pressure recommendations are always set for an assumed full load, so more or less adjustment is needed depending on your usual load. Front recommendations are always too low.

Reply to
Dan G

How many miles do you have on your Sequoia? Are you sure you don't have Grandtrek? That's what came with my 2001 LC. They were junk. I ended up replacing them with Yokohama Geolander HTS. I would have gone with Bridgestone Dueler H/T Alenza, but they did not have that size in stock. LCs have a very weird size, 265/75R16, 265/70R16 is a more common size.

Check your pressure, cold and hot. The recommended PSI is when the tire is cold. Also read the recommended PSI on the sidewall of the tire. It's usually located near the rim of the wheel. Get rid of those Grandtreks as soon as you can, once you get to 1/8" of tread height it starts to get slippery on wet surfaces. The edges wear out first on these tires, that's why I asked "how many miles."

Good Luck and Drive Safe!

JW

Reply to
Joseph Wind

It's now 36,000 miles. The edge is so flat looks like those broken truck tires on highway. Except that, the rest still look reasonable. I do have the Grandtrek which came with my 2004 Sequoia. It started to make squeaking sound while turning or wet when I am driving faster. Dealer says that my tire is still in "good: shape at my 35,000 miles maintenance...

Reply to
harry

Required pressure differs on tire brands and on different vehicles of the same make model - due to weight etc. To best determine the pressure you need, perform this simple test. Take a peice of chalk and draw a line across the tread of each tire. Drive about 100 yards on a dry straight road. Examine the chalk lines on the tire. If the middle of the chalk line is more worn off then the edges, let some air out of the tire. If the edges of the chalk line are more worn off then the middle, add some air to the tire.

Reply to
Glenn Arsenault