what's fair?

Just because a car has a clear title does not mean it has never been hit. Having a fender or door or hood repainted or replaced is very common, and an accident does not always cause structural damage (the kind that would REALLY make you not want to buy it). Cars run into each other constantly. Sometimes it's no big deal, sometimes it is. I do used car certifications at my dealership, and I can tell you that (this is for US, don't know if it's different elsewhere) their standards for rejection are three or more painted body panels, not including bumpers. Of course, any frame damage or newly welded door hinges or anything like that are cause for rejection. But, a car can come through that has, say, been hit on the driver side and had both doors and a rear bumper replaced, and the certification will hold. If you have any questions, the dealership has a booklet of the certification standards that you should be welcome to look at. And also, the above I have just described is only for the Certification Program, which has a mileage/age limit. Anything beyond the limit can recieve a Goldcheck Certification, which is basically the guarantee of a running engine and a sliver a brake pads.

Reply to
qslim

I just recently bought a 1999 certified used toyota tacoma from a local toyota dealership. i noticed some rust on the passenger side below the door, i took it to some auto body repair shops and got some ideas to repair. i just noticed corrosive thing in my warranty but the warranty was up on August 2nd. I didn't notice it was poor auto body repair that lead to this, i"m pretty sure it was in a accident. i didn't notice the facts until now. A question i have is if the truck was in a accident, does the title have to be a R title? the toyota dealership sales manager is going to call me tommorrow about them fixing it for me at no cost i hope. please advise

Reply to

The laws vary state to state for disclosing damage. Here in North Carolina you only have to disclose previous damage from an accident if the cost of repairs exceeded 25% of the vehicles value at the time and if the vehicle is under five years old (or is it seven...or ten). Slik

Reply to
slikrikd