Wheel Bearings

I'm about to replace the front wheel bearings on my early 1995 Tacoma

4x4 with auto locking hubs. I haven't done bearings myself since 1997 and I'm feeling a little lost especially as it's my first time with a 4x4. Can anyone offer any insight as to proceedure, common mistakes, special tools required etc.? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike
Reply to
mjv

Cleaning and repacking them would be just as good unless they are worn/burt blue or rusty. If used off road and in water replacement probably good idea. See:

Reply to
Wolfgang

A number of people here have mentioned a site where, for a few bucks, you get on day of access to service manual info. I *think* this is the site - take a look:

JoeSpareBedroom

THe appearance of the bearings and their smoothness is the main factor as they can go 200K plus easy if properly lubed and less than 30K if not. I would not replace them just for the sake of it if the look good.

SnoMan

Thanks for the info. It's been a particularly hard winter on ol' Wanda. The local forest is void of tourists in the cold, snowy and wet winter. A lot of water crossings and alot of snow travel. In addition, the left front wheel has a bit of play so I'll check 'em at the least. Thanks again to all who've replied. Mike.

P.S. I've also noticed a "shimmy" when brak> Cleaning and repacking them would be just as good unless they are worn/burt

Reply to
mjv