Wheel pellets

I was having one hell of a time keeping my wheels balanced on my 98 Tacoma

4X4. When I go between 55 and 65 it shakes pretty bad, at times.. I don't think I had the problems until I bought tires from Sam's club and they put them on and balanced. Then after a while I started a shimmy. I took them back every now and then and had them rotated and rebalanced and the same thing. I am now on my second set of tires from Sam's and it's staring the same thing.

So one day I ran into an ad for these little pellets you put in your tire to smooth out the ride. I figured why not and sent away for the packages for each tire. I added the really small pellets in the tire and am not convinced it helped any.When I put the pellets in the tire I didn't remove the exciting wheel weights because I figured they should have gotten the tire close and so the pellets would make up the difference. The directions with the pellets say to remove the weights.

Now I found some mention of Toyota's rims not being centered on the hole but on the mounting studs and of course, Sam's uses the center hole for balancing. So I have this dilemma. I could remove the wheel weights and see if it helps, as I guess one could have fallen off. Of course not having any weights is what the 'pebble's company recommended and I guess I wouldn't be much worse off. The real problem is now I have these things IN my tires and I could probably never be able to get the tires balanced at a shop unless then broke the tires down, poured out the pellets and then tried the balance..

Woof.. with all that said, what do you guys think my plan of action should be? Anyone have any experience with these pebble things?

Joel

Reply to
Joel

lug centric vs. hub centric the shop needs to use a Haweka adapter another balancing altrenative is

dissembler

You are correct about the not being centered on the hole but on the mounting studs. To balance them properly you need to find a shop that uses a Haweka adapter. Another possibility is that the shop who balanced your tires has not had the balancer calibrated in a while.

I would recomend you remove the pellets and have your tires balanced by a shop who has the proper adampter to do the job correctly.

Reply to
Mike