When should I change trans. fluid???

I have a 2000 4Runner limited with about 35000 miles. I don't think I ever had the transmission fluid changed. Is it necessary and how often? or am I wasting my money at the dealership?

Also how about the coolant system? How frequent should I flush that?

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John

coolant is important to flush on a regular basis. The exact timing depends on the quality of coolant in the system. Some lasts for 4 years some as little as 1 year. (without regular flushing coolant can become acidic and eat through various important things in your engine. You can get a cheep tester to test your coolant.

As for tranny fluid depends on auto or std. I like to flush all fluids whenever I get a new vehicle and w/e i know something has happened to any of them. If its an auto make sure that you change the filter too.

Reply to
Toshi38

Coolant is a 2-year thing (preferred Toyota Red with distilled water over the Toyota pinko). So is the brake fluid (preferred Valvoline SynPower or Castrol GT LMA Low Moisture Activity for DOT 3/4 apps). If the tranny is an auto and uses GM's Dexron III then consider every

15,000 mile drain/refil.. If the more expensive Type IV stuff then wait longer. But always refer to the owner's manual for reference. Do it sooner (I know some argue that's throwing money away), but never later.

Reply to
johngdole

It's a crap shoot on the trans service/fluid. I followed the toyo recommendations and mine blew up at 103,000 resulting in a trans reman. Good luck! 2001 Tacoma prerunner trd

Reply to
DanO

Thanks for the input. I had the dealer service both the trans and coolant for about $130 a piece! I'm sure it's a lot but I don't trust any local mechanic for the fact that they would say they did it and not really do anything!

Curious what the dealer service price goes for elsewhere??

Reply to
John

Thanks for the input. I had the dealer service both the trans and coolant for about $130 a piece! I'm sure it's a lot but I don't trust any local mechanic for the fact that they would say they did it and not really do anything!

Curious what the dealer service price goes for elsewhere??

Reply to
John

I always just do it myself... its easy to do ... and doesn't take long or much tools.

Stephen

Reply to
Toshi38

Reply to