Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

Threaded View
I have looked in the chilton's and hayes' manuals and I can't seem to find the
oxygen sensor.  Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't
found it.

Any ideas on where it is?

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?
22R's dont have an Oxygen sensor, it's not like carbureted trucks have a
computer or anything, that's what makes them so rugged :-)

oxygen sensor.  Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't
found it.

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?
Thank you for the response.  I thought I was losing my mind.
I don't understand why the Checker salesperson would
sell me a oxygen sensor if I don't need one...interesting.

Since I don't have an oxygen sensor, is there anything else I can do to pass
emissions?  She's pumping out alot of CO.

Thanks again.

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

I have a "California" '88 with the 22R. There is indeed an O2 sensor,
it's in the exhaust manifold, just before the head pipe flange. I have
no idea why a carburated engine would have a sensor, but it does. I
changed mine at about 170,000 miles. I can't tell that it made any
difference and thought about leaving it out, but the guy at the smog
test station said his book shows it and if it isn't there he's have to
fail it...

Tom...

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?
I looked at the exhaust manifold and there's nothing there.
There isn't even a wire or anything else to connect it.

Perhaps the "California" 22R is slightly different?

I guess I'll just have to play with the carb...

Thanks for the help.

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

In addition to mine being a "California" vehicle, it's also two years
newer than yours. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I bet the
combination of the two does... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?
Do you think the "california" 22R is different?

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

I mentioned this in the other post, but, yes, I have to assume they are,
that and the year, mine's an '88...

Tom - Vista, CA

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

Your not, they do have an oxygen sensor.
--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

Oh, but they do have an oxygen sensor. Its to run the air injection or
air suction system.

--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

My 1985 Toyota 4x2 doesn't have one (non California) but my 1985 Toyota
Truck Repair Manual does show an O2 sensor for California models for the
  Air Suction System

Lo and behold, it does show a computer, but not in the EFI sense, the
sole computer on my 85 truck is connected to a speed sensor

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

Yeah, its an emission computer and a majority of them from about 1986
onward with carbs had them. It wont affect running, just the air
injection stuff.

--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

oxygen sensor.  Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't
found it.

In the manifold unless its a California, then in the exhaust under the
drivers seat.

--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:

Re: Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

My '88 has it in the manifold, but, as I mentioned before, it's two
years newer than the one in question, and a California model...

Tom - Vista, CA