Where is 1986 pickup 22R oxygen sensor?

I have looked in the chilton's and hayes' manuals and I can't seem to find the oxygen sensor. Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't
found it.
Any ideas on where it is?
22R's dont have an Oxygen sensor, it's not like carbureted trucks have a computer or anything, that's what makes them so rugged :-)
stuckintucson wrote:

oxygen sensor. Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't found it.

Thank you for the response. I thought I was losing my mind. I don't understand why the Checker salesperson would sell me a oxygen sensor if I don't need one...interesting.
Since I don't have an oxygen sensor, is there anything else I can do to pass emissions? She's pumping out alot of CO.
Thanks again.
stuckintucson wrote:

I have a "California" '88 with the 22R. There is indeed an O2 sensor, it's in the exhaust manifold, just before the head pipe flange. I have no idea why a carburated engine would have a sensor, but it does. I changed mine at about 170,000 miles. I can't tell that it made any difference and thought about leaving it out, but the guy at the smog test station said his book shows it and if it isn't there he's have to fail it...
Tom...
I looked at the exhaust manifold and there's nothing there. There isn't even a wire or anything else to connect it.
Perhaps the "California" 22R is slightly different?
I guess I'll just have to play with the carb...
Thanks for the help.
stuckintucson wrote:

In addition to mine being a "California" vehicle, it's also two years newer than yours. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I bet the combination of the two does... :>))
Tom - Vista, CA
Do you think the "california" 22R is different?
stuckintucson wrote:

I mentioned this in the other post, but, yes, I have to assume they are, that and the year, mine's an '88...
Tom - Vista, CA
stuckintucson wrote:

Your not, they do have an oxygen sensor.
--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:
John Smith wrote:

Oh, but they do have an oxygen sensor. Its to run the air injection or air suction system.
--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:
MDT Tech wrote:

My 1985 Toyota 4x2 doesn't have one (non California) but my 1985 Toyota Truck Repair Manual does show an O2 sensor for California models for the Air Suction System
Lo and behold, it does show a computer, but not in the EFI sense, the sole computer on my 85 truck is connected to a speed sensor
John Smith wrote:

onward with carbs had them. It wont affect running, just the air injection stuff.
--

stuckintucson wrote:

oxygen sensor. Some books say it's near the catalytic converter, but I haven't found it.

In the manifold unless its a California, then in the exhaust under the drivers seat.
--

Inasmuch as the Democrats are complaining on how long the war is taking,
consider this:
MDT Tech wrote:

My '88 has it in the manifold, but, as I mentioned before, it's two years newer than the one in question, and a California model...
Tom - Vista, CA