which to choose?? V6 or 22re?

Hey,

I'm shopping around for a Toyota pickup and was just wondering what you guys thought of both of these motors? I'm looking for an extended cab

4x4 and in my area they are few and far between (and the ones that are around are really pricey, but i guess you get what you pay for right?). Right now there are a couple for sale...one's a v6 and the other's a 4 cyl. I know the 22-re get's much better mileage, but aside from that, what are some of the pros and cons of either engine? Anyone out there have some advice for me? I've done some research online, but after lurking on here for abit it seems like quite the resourceful bunch.

Thanks!

Luke

Reply to
lukerichardson

Automatic tran - get V6, Towing or hauling stuff - get V6, lots of hills - V6, oversize tires - V6 Daily commuter/grocery-Home Depot getter - 4 cyl is fine --- newer ones are NOT 22RE though.

Reply to
Wolfgang

the 22RE is a good and robust motor but a little weak ... there are performance hop up but 2.4l are 2.4l ..

the 3VZE (3l) is an average motor ... not good not bad ... for any pulling or power needs its the better choice. They did have head gasket issues which were recalled and then fixed.

THE motor to get is the 3.4l it is a very good motor

Matt

The 3VZE goes well with cold air intake and decent exhaust. Can be reasonably economical. I get 400 odd Kms out of a tank full. 60ish litres.

Reply to
Scotty

We have an 89 4x4 with the 3VZE. It has had the head gasket replace via re-call. We change the oil every 4 to 5k. Valves adjusted every 50k. Currently has 260,000 miles, does not burn oil, and gets around 18 mpg. Plenty enough power. By our account, this is an exceptional engine.

Reply to
Keyser Soze

My 3VZE is sort of doing the same as yours .... I was refering to power output / design .... its not good , not bad ...

Its not a motor people talk about but it does its job

If I could make the choice again, I would opt for the V6 and not the

22re. I feel it is a little underpowered for my 4wd (I also have aftermarket 31x10.5 tires) on the highway, going up hills. I drive from the CA coast to Truckee almost every weekend of winter and after Applegate, I usually have it floored. Not to mention all of the strategizing pre-hill and for passing, etc. And this is just with me and some gear in the truck. Get my wife and 3 year old in there (I got a bench seat and a petite wife) with _their_ gear - forget about it. I've had semi's pass me on the west bound section of I80 between Truckee and Donner Summit. Geez, that is embarrassing.

There isn't a problem on flat highway sections though.

Also, I'm pretty sure I would probably get better mileage with the bigger engine, but I don't know how much of that is my driving habit, eg. 55mph instead of 70mph. I rented a V6 SUV a couple of summers ago and drove it from the Monterey bay area to Bellingham,WA and I got 4 or

5 mpg better then my truck and passed everybody that I saw.

But for working on the engine, gimme the 22re. I recall changing plugs on a V6 4runner and that was painful. But the 22re is as easy as cutting butter to work on.

-jim

PS. 1993 4WD 22re, ~330K miles.

Reply to
jim

Hi, I am about to buy one 1995 3VZE with 343h tranny. I am thinking already of reworking a bit the latter. Could you please elaborate on "cold air" and "decent exhaust" stuff, please.

Chris

Reply to
Christophe

The origional exhaust does a double back style, well what it does is (in the RHDrive versions) have the exhaust manifold that travels around the back of the motor and into the oppisite manifold, this is one of the worlds WORST set ups, taking headers from each side and joining into a hi flow cat (2

1/2inch minimum) and single pipe from cat to the rear via a triple flow muffler and a small reasonator at the back. This is around 15% more powerful than the standard set up from all accounts.

Im going to try and run headers intoa hiflow cat and back into two before the rear axel and twin pipes out the rear for something different when finances allow.

Cold air, well depends on what ya want to do with yoru vehicle. Nice cool air is the best for power etc but cold air can be taken from places where cold water can alse get, Id tend to stay away from that if yoru going off roading. A snorkel will do fine if you have a K&N airfilter. make sure that all emmision control stuff stays unless you want to run the authorities.

Reply to
Scotty

Hey Luke, I just bought (last month) a 4x4 xtra cab Tacoma, I traded in my Tundra because of the gas. The 4cyl. is plenty of kick. It is more than capeable of handling anything the truck is rated for. Dont be dismayed or discouraged by the test drive. I almost didn't buy the truck because of the test drive. I drove a brand new one and it wasn't broke in, I thought it was slow and underpowered, I almost didn't buy it. That would hsve been a mistake, because it has wore in so well its hard to believe its the same truck. At 4000 miles its twice as fast as it was new. Gas may be down at the moment, but you know its going back up come spring, its an annual thing now so dont get comfortable with $2 a gal. gas, go for the

4cyl when it breaks in you'll be wondering why you even considered the 6.

Good Luck

Reply to
franknlizob

Luke, one more word,if you get the stick get the 4 if you get the auto, thats different, any,ANY,

4 cyl auto is a dog, if you need a auto, go 6.
Reply to
franknlizob

i have a 22re with the 5 speed manual and i love it. it has more than enough power and speed for me in the city or highway. the only complaint i have is the location of the alternator.

Reply to
zeb

Hello, I become a happy proprietor of a 3VZE powered '95 4Runner. For now I am amazed with kinda turbo-diesel-like behaviour of this engine. Resembles quite a 1HD-FT I tried before. I would have bought it, only it wouldn't fit in the narrow streets and dense traffic of a city I live in - the J80 is BIG! OK, I know, you can laugh but here in Europe things like Escalade or Navigator equal Monster Truck Show.

I had a glance under a hood, you are quite right, the air intake looks as if they could have not decide where to put the filter: to the left, no no, to the right, oh no, to the front, ok ok, front leftish-right is fine, ah the engine is V6 so let's twist it 90 degrees, arrrrgh ... and the mess of medium and small plumbling and cables that connect to this. Why it can not be like in my (also '95) bmw ? It's straight six, there is an air filter's box on the right than a huge straight pipe to the trottle then it splits into six and on the left the exhaust looks same (150 bhp from 2000 ccm). Why not?

OK, I see the KN or Green direct admission kit should help and Downey headers and custom 6 in 2 exhaust, sure. Only I did not buy a '95 Toyota because I have already all models of Hummer in my yard ;-). Ah, I forgot the TRD supercharger, or Eatonif you prefere.

LOL!

I see, there are no short cuts here...

Thanks anyway, Chris

Reply to