Which (year) 4runner or Tundra to buy?

Hello,

Unfortunately, my 1990 4runner recently started leaking coolant, which I suspect is due to a bad water pump. It's been way too cold out to start taking it apart to prove that is the case. FWIW, the vehicle has 203k miles on it. The dealer wants around $1100 to replace the timing belt and water pump. I checked around and received a similar price from a non-dealer. Needless to say, the vehicle also has body rot that is typical for 4runners. That said, and because it really isn't worth spending $1100 on the vehicle, I've been looking for a newer one to replace it.

I'd like to find either a used 4runner or Tundra in a 4x4 for either model. If I find a Tundra, I'd like a quad cab, so that I can carry passengers as well as cargo.

So far, I'm finding high mileage older vehicles with what I consider to be high prices and newer ones that are ridiculously overpriced. Granted, they say that Toyotas hold their value, but some of the prices that I've seen are too high for me.

What are some things that I should be looking for in either model? By that, I mean are there some models that won't require the $1100 timing belt / water pump maintenance charge every 60k - 90k miles? I've heard that 4.0 L

4runners have timing chains as opposed to a belt. It seems that might be something to look for while shopping around. Also, is there any advantage or distadvantage to a V6 or a V8? As for the Tundras, I've read that there's a frame recall on the 2007's going forward. I've also heard that the older 2000 Tundras weren't that good on gas either. Any pointers for either vehicle or shopping tips in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

..polite snip... I chose a 1993 Toyota for durability. I have two of them now and very happy with both. If you choose to replace, do so based on the assumption it will cost more to repair the old. Any newer vehicle you replace it with may ultimately leave you with a yearning for the first choice of repairing the tried and true.

Reply to
Oldphart

Oldphart,

You bring up a good point here.

I often see some new(er) vehicles that have all sorts of gadgets in them. In some cases, they seem like good or useful features to have, but I just can't help but wonder to myself, "How much is it going to cost to have that "fill in the blank" feature repaired?". Then too, where are you going to find someone competent enough to do so? Too many parts jockeys out there these days.

Thanks for your reply.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis