Who Like to drive in the snow?

In some States Tire chains are illegal, in other states there mandatory. In fact some chains are made for mud and snow for the real off road freak... ;)

(1.) Do you have (S/M or A/T) tires? (2.) How about chains, do you have a set or two? (3.) What brand do you carry If you do? (4.) Have you ever landed your self in a ditch because of 4WD?

I've heard both the pros & cons on this matter. I myself use them. Lets have a discussion...

Reply to
Chris

I do not use chains, Never have had the need. WHY? Cause I drive a Toyota! Really, I drive on BFGoodrich AT KO's 31/10.5/15, The only tire I have been using since my first Toyota back in 90. THough I only live in PA, so there really is not much snow here, I rarely even have to lock in the front wheels. I usually use 4X4 in the mt's or the mud. WE haul a camper so alot of the time its for deceleration. My 91 SR5 v6 had ARB lockers and NO I have never "landed in the ditch" Off road driving take experience, usually that means getting out there and screwing up or having a good teacher.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher1

1) Neither...I drive in the winter on real winter tires, Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3. I feel that they are much safer than all-season or all-terrain tires, especially when trying to dodge the fool sliding toward you in your lane. 2) Chains for both the truck and the trailer. These are required in Washington for towing a trailer when winter traction tires are required on cars. 3) LaClede diamond pattern chains 4) Not because of 4wd, but because of lack of tire traction where 4wd was no help
Reply to
Ken Shelton

Chris schrieb:

I have a BJ42 with LockRight front and rear.

I'm driving Colway AT's 31x10,5-15 in winter. I always have two pairs (eq. 4) chains with me. Winters here in Bavaria can throw half a meter or more snow on the tracks in half a day and sometimes flash freezing rain gives 2cm of pure blank ice on the streets in 2 hours. Chains provide excellent traction in such situations and dig even through mud incidently covered beneath snow on the green.

A hidden trench once used 4L and chains to dig out w/o winching. Couldn't see the track anymore due to heavy snow drifts.

Regards,

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

In what state are tire chains mandatory?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

| > (1.) Do you have (S/M or A/T) tires? | > (2.) How about chains, do you have a set or two? | > (3.) What brand do you carry If you do? | > (4.) Have you ever landed your self in a ditch because of 4WD? | >

| > I've heard both the pros & cons on this matter. I myself use them. Lets | > have a discussion... | >

| | In what state are tire chains mandatory? | |

Colorado, when the passes are snow bound. No chains, no go.

Reply to
Jarhead

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 19:56:03 GMT, "Doug Kanter" found these unused words floating about:

Oregon - "Snow Zone" {execptions apply} Washington - Some areas plus if you tow. Nevada - Where posted Utah - Where posted California - Where posted

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

Mandatory in California too. If you don't have chains, you either won't be allowed to enter or leave the ski resort areas.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Mandatory in California too. If you don't have chains, you either won't be allowed to enter or leave the ski resort areas.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Mandatory in California too. If you don't have chains, you either won't be allowed to enter or leave the ski resort areas.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Chains must be onboard when driving mountain passes in Washington, and must be used under specified conditions.

I like Wyoming's Basic Chain Law. You need whatever traction device necessary to stay under control. If you slide off the road and didn't use chains, you're in violation. If you didn't slide off, you didn't legally need chains.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Nevada and California have mandatory chain carry and use laws.

I've used both chains and cables but now I carry Spikes-Spiders (Sport model) - great in ice, snow and mud. They are expensive but the first time you put them on at the side of the road when it's 20F in a freezing rain and it takes about one minute per tire, it'll be worth every dollar you paid for them.

I'm not an "off-roader" but occasionally I have to drive on dirt roads in bad weather in the mountains by Reno/Lake Tahoe.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

in article X%9nf.30030$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net, Chris at snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote on 12/12/05 1:56 AM:

Yes. My Jeep has Goodyear MTR's, and my Land Cruiser has BFG AT's. The MTR's are not good on snow and ice, while the AT's are excellent. Then again, the BFG's suck in mud and the MTR's are good in mud. Gotta choose your battles with tires.

I have TWO sets of heavy-duty, high-quality chains for my Jeep. That's because things get hairy enough up at elk camp that a guy just might need both sets. I learned that the year I just had one set!

I have a set of the same good chains for the Land Cruiser, because it's the family adventure-mobile and it's my responsibility to get us all there alive. If things go really hairy I'd chain up but otherwise, a good rig with with good tires and a good nut behind the wheel will get you there just fine. The BFG AT's have the "snowflake" symbol that means, legally speaking, that they ARE a traction device in and of themselves, so I'm not legally required to carry chains. But I still do.

Les Schwab premium.

Because of 4wd? Are you one one those flat-earthers who thinks that 4wd is BAD in snow?

I'll chain up if the shit gets REALLY bad, or if my vehicle and tires are not appropriate to the conditions. Otherwise I maintain a good distance to obstacles and TAKE IT EASY.

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

in article snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, MrFixit469 at snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote on 12/12/05 8:10 PM:

But surely they don't actually CHECK!?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

They sure do! The California Highway Patrol sets up check points at the entrances to the ski areas. If you don't have them on, you're turned away at which time you have three options...put on the chains you're carrying but didn't put on yet, go down the mountain and buy them from someone on the side of the road who is selling them for a premium(a $40 set of chains can cost you $100.00 plus from these scalpers); or just go back home. These chain scalpers are on the side of the road just looking for un-prepared suckers who will most likely pay their outrageous prices rather than go driving hours to go back down the mountain to a real store, or worse, cancel their trip all together and just go home.

If you happen to be leaving a resort area and are turned back, you're faced with additional lodging and food prices until the conditions improve and you're allowed to leave without chains.

Reply to
MrFixit469

[...]

The CHP won't let you in or out of "chain required areas" without them. Ask anyone who didn't have chain on I80 heading to Nevada when chain requirements are in effect or US 395 north of Bishop.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Yes, they do. And don't call me Shirley.

When the weather calls for "Chains Required" they put up a roadblock, and a Friendly California Highway Patrol Officer or local Sheriff/Police Officer will flag the people with their chains installed right on through, and turn around those without.

And if it's only a "must carry" restriction because they know the weather is going to get bad in a few hours, you must show him you have a set in the car before they let you past the checkpoint.

These are usually two-lane highways, so it's easy enough to do. Takes a bit more effort for a major artery like I-5, but then they also run the cars through in packs with an officer at the front of the pack as escort setting a safe pace. Because there's always a yahoo in an AWD Audi with Blizzak's who thinks 75 MPH in a white-out blizzard is perfectly safe. For him, yeah, he's got grip to spare - till he finds the back end of a Semi poking along at 15 MPH because the other driver wants to see where he's going...

(As soundtrack, insert Nervous Norvus' [sp?] "Transfusion" here.)

It's a whole lot simpler to station one officer to man a tire chain checkpoint, than all the effort of fishing people and their cars out of a 300' canyon after the unintended right turn at the first patch of ice. Not to mention the helicopter time for the hospital trip, and all the firemen and paramedics...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Chain up areas on the California side of E/B I80 seem to attract people in orange vests who offer to put your chains on for what ever they can get away from. Contrary to popular opinion, even though they dress like Cal Trans, they don't work for Cal Trans.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:14:58 GMT, Skip found these unused words floating about:

Orange Vests are AFAIK 'required' for anyone doing this (except the motorist). The CHP or others would run them off - for safety reasons.

What irks me are those who become pushy when you politely say NO.

Reply to
J. A. Mc.