Why drained 5 qt of transmission fluid instead of 2.1 qt stated in manual??

I've a 96' Toyota 4Runner. I tried to change the transmission fluid myself for the first time. In both manufacturer's and Haynes's manuals specify the drain an refill capacity is 2.1 qt for my 3.4 and 4WD

4Runner. But I drained almost 5 qt of fluid even before I dropped the pan. What's the catch? How can the manuals be off so much?

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
GV

did someone overfill it before?

perhaps a manual misprint?

Reply to
Kryptoknight

The Tundra book says you'll get 2+ quarts, and everyone gets 4+ quarts. Nobody knows why there's such a discrepancy. Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

The 'manual' (aftermarket) I had for a Corolla said the AC system took 4 LBS of refrigerant. Can you say 'Blown Compressor'?

I've found a lot of discrepancies in both aftermarket and owner's manuals. Check with the service department. They'll know.

Reply to
HachiRoku

yeah, my OEM 98' tacoma manual had wrong units on engine oil.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

the manual forgot to mention they did it on a 30degree incline, must have been documented on the streets of San Fran

:)

Reply to
Kryptoknight