Why no Toyota full size vans in the US?

I wonder why Toyota doesn't sell any of their larger vans such has the Hi-Ace in the US. It seems the American full size van manufacturers have been very stagnant and could use the competition. The Mercedes Sprinter full size van is now being sold in the US through Freightliner and Dodge and this would be a good fuel efficient, space efficient diesel alternative but I prefer Toyota quality.

I notice there seems to be two different Hi-Ace designs. The ones sold in Asia and Australia are forward control with the driver sitting over the front wheels and the engine under the front seats similar to the Toyota vans sold in the US in the 1980's but larger. The ones sold in Europe have the engine and front wheels moved forward with a front end similar to the Sprinter but as I recall from seeing them in Europe they are more the size of a VW Transporter than a Sprinter. I'd suspect the front engine version would do better in the US market as it is more conventional looking and would probably do better in the US crash tests. It probably doesn't have room for a big V-8 like the Tundra but the modern high pressure direct injection turbodiesels used would provide plenty of power for US conditions as evidenced by the Sprinter with its 2.7 litre engine. Maybe the price of fuel in the US needs to go up more before Toyota feels it can be sufficiently competitive against the V-8 US vans.

Zach Kaplan

Reply to
Zach Kaplan Cycles

I thinking the same thing. If not the HiAce, then they could develop one of their own for the North American market.

Toyota has a plant that could build a large, rear-wheel drive vehicle here in the US, that being the truck plant in Indiana where the Tundra, Sequoia, and the front/AWD Sienna minivan are built.

There isn't much to developing a large van. Just a slightly aerodynamic box on a rear wheel drive platform. A van like this would sure be much better than the crap Ford and GM put out these days!

Reply to
TundraOwner2002

I drive a Hiace all day everyday, great vans with lots of room, not so good in crash testing though which is why the older (pre 2005, when the newer safer versions will be available) arent sold in the US.

2.4 EFI with reasonable load in the back suck juise like a V8 though. 246miles per 15.3 gallons (400kms per 65 litres in Aus talk)

Thats at a tare weight of 2100kgs. (and a reasonably heavy right foot.)

Reply to
Scotty

They DID develope one for the US market: It's called the Sienna.

I would guess it has something to do with safety regulations, as to why they don't sell the 'cabover' models anymore. Probably faired so poorly in crash tests that they withdrew from the US market. I personally liked them; I had a chance to buy a 4WD model but the guy decided not to sell.

235,000 miles and it ran like a top! So I took the $600 and bought an '88 Supra. Can't quite haul my bass amp around in a Supra, though...
Reply to
HachiRoku

The Sienna is a minivan. I already have a Toyota Previa minivan. I'm looking for a Toyota alternative to a full size van. As far as safety goes I didn't think the cabover Hi-Ace would fly in America but as I mentioned there is a version of the Hi-Ace with the engine out front. I believe the Toyota Australia website calls this a SBV for semi-bonneted van. Basically has a short hood or bonnet like a US full size van or the Sprinter.

Zach

Reply to
Zach Kaplan Cycles

But that SBV is only a short wheel based unit. The new 2005 Hiace will be available in short and long wheel base.

Reply to
Scotty