Wind noise in 2005 Tacoma

I am getting a Very Loud whistling/moaning sound in my 2005 Tacoma. It only happens when the air speed is 85 mph or more - but that means at 65 mph into a 20 mph head wind, which is all too common in Oklahoma. (Or 75 into a 10 mph head wind in New Mexico or Arizona where 75 is legal.)

I'm not talking about normal wind noise. This is one note and very loud. The first time I heard it, I thought an alarm had gone off because it seems to be coming from behind the center of the dash.

Of course the dealer couldn't find it - but it wasn't that windy the day they had it. I'll have to wait for one of our 40 mph wind days.

Any one have a similar experience? Or any ideas?

Tony S.

Reply to
Tony

My 2005 Tundra has some noise from the driver's side rear view mirror in a head wind. But it doesn't bother me. Also, my 2000 Saturn LS1 has the same thing, it's a little more annoying, but again, I don't let it bother me.

Reply to
nospam

I have the exact same thing. On a windy day I heard it for the first time and thought is was an alarm. It was annoying but intermittent. Does your truck have the scoop on the hood?? Wondering if that had any effect. It is always the same pitch.

Reply to
Pamela Wiese

I also experience the exact same thing whenever winds are higher than normal. A high pitched whining note that seems to emit from the dash area (my guess is the windshield seal is defective somewhere). Drives me nuts, especially since everything else about my 2005 Tacoma is above satisfactory. Heading to the dealership when confidence is high that the sound can be reproduced. P.S. Don't have a hood scoop.

Reply to
leroy

I also don't have a hood scoop. I looked under the hood and noticed some small holes in the center of the firewall just below the major air intake. I put a piece of tape over them just on a trial basis. It seems to greatly reduce the noise and it doesn't seem to have changed the airflow to the interior any.

But I won't know for sure if this is it until I get a chance to try it in some really high winds - which shouldn't take too long here in central Oklahoma.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I had the same noise on my 2005 Tacoma Quad between 65 and 75 mph depending on the headwind. One thing I noticed is that when I turned on the windshield wipers the noise stopped about half way up the windshield started again about the top and stopped at the mid point on the way down.

I made two changes. 1.) I noticed the factory wipers had slits in them ..I'm betting the noise came from there so I swapped out the wipers for a more open design with no vents.

2.) I bought the hood guard to deflect the wind.

So far so good. I've only been on the highway once since making these changes but I got up to 75-80 mph on a windy day for about 10 minutes and no noise.

Reply to
Andy Langston