Yet another 4runner question

Regarding the older 4runners with removable tops . . . is there some sort of wiring harness that you have to disconnect for the rear wiper blade?

Reply to
donnoble

donnoble

Yes. It's easy. Lift the top a bit, unplug it, take it off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yeah, 16 bolts and two plugs should get the top off. Make sure you dont damage the seal as they will leak when ya put it back on if the seals stuffed, mind you it will leak more it you leave the top off ;o)

Dont forget to keep all the plastic bolt covers secure away so ya dont loose em.

Oh and DONT BYPASS the REAR WINDOW switch that stops the window from going up as if ya do that when the tops down kiss ya rear screen goodbye

Reply to
Scotty

Great! Now if I can just find one of these babys for less than the price of gold. I saw a 1989 4 runner sell on ebay last night for darn near $5,000 . . . wow!

When I get one, I'm thinking about painting it a color combination similar to the new FJ Cruiser . . . Voodoo Blue with the removable top being white.

Scotty wrote:

Reply to
donnoble

Hey! Sounds like a great project. Better yet - find on with a turbo hanging in it! I'd go for the Black Cherry Pearl myself. Bill

Reply to
William Brown

Reply to
donnoble

Is this vehicle going to be purely off road? If so then buy an Ex Japanese unit, should get one of those shipped to US for nix. Better still find someone who has access to one and wants a chev engine or something from the US and swap em.

Reply to
Scotty

Just looking at what the shipping is . New Zealand (Very cheap cars) to US around $2200 NZD = $1340 USD. Add that to the purchase price of about $4k (NZD) for a 89 model with alloys bars etc and your away laughing. If you can buy two from Jappan and put both in the same container your getting away with stuff all freight per vehicle. Off road the RHD compared to LHD will be insignificant. Parts would be the same from LHD or RHD for most that you would need off road. For an exersise try

and search for "surf" (Jap 4runner)

Reply to
Scotty

Hey! Thought the removable top 4runners stopped in 88. Got an 86 pickup here with a 4banger and a turbo. Fair on gas when your nice to it but got some get up and go when you need it. I just hate those 6 cylinder motors here in california. Seems like toyota was trying to discover how to detune a motor to the best of their ability. Now that's a good idea. Paint my truck and camper shell like an FJ with Black Cherry Pearl on the bottom and maybe a lighter Metallic Black Cherry on the top or vice versa. Bill

Yes you can on a 4 cylinder motor.

Reply to
William Brown

Is it that solid front axle or something?

-jeff

Reply to
Jeff Olsen

Reply to