10mm vs. 8mm head studs questions

I have begun to dissassemble the engine I recieved with my basket case. Turns out it is a Type 2 . I assume this based on the 211 casting - some had purposly filed off the serial. Anyway, to my surprise the heads were secured with 10mm studs and required several washers to make they tighten. The heads are single port and seem to be from a Type 1. The questions: Were 10mm studs used on Type 1's also? What applications? Did the Type 2's have a different head setup that required longer studs? If I order new studs will they be this long too?

More info on the motor. It was a recent rebuild (obviously not pro). Had new 87mm kit intsalled. Heads very clean inside - not sure if they have had valve work done or not. There is some pitting in the combustion chamber (is this a prob?) Story I got from the son of the builder is that it was "just not running right". Hum???

Reply to
69 ground up

Stud size was not dependant on the vehicle. all types had both 10 and 8mm studs, 8mm being the later design. Should always come with case savers from the factory too.

Again it doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle.

The two middle, top row studs on a dual port engine are shorter than those on a single port engine. ( to make room for the dual port intake manifold end casting, and intake ports)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

:-)