160 miles on FULL TANK!!?!?

One reason why i bought a beetle, was to get the gas mileage (im a college student) Well, i filled my tank to the brim (and them some...haha a good wipe job on the front fender and it was okay) and i am on "R" on my VDO gauge, and i only have 160 miles. I know i have about 1 gallon left in the tank. I already ran dry on gas, and when i put two gallons from a gas can, it took it up higher then R, to whatever the next mark is. What is up!?!? I have a 1776, and i do normally drive with higher RPMs, but still, approx 17 miles per gallon! I figure a higher performance engine would chug more, but not that much. I would be happy/okay if it were at least above 20. Whats going on?!

Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Oldbie has the right idea, But asked in a humorous way.........

That1776 could get pretty good gas mileage, but likely notAS good as the 1600 or smaller ...................if it has a small carb, and normal exhaulst and all that is encompassed in a generally correct type1 engine. Anytime you raise just the carbeuration to the next level, it cuts the economy down, then the exhaust, and cam and crank, and all the other performance items........................higher performance DOES mean lower economy.................sometimes much lower. Sounds like you have modified to a level that gives you pretty crappy gas mileage already.

On the other hand, what else could you drive with the performance you have, for the mileage your getting, for the amount that you've spent?

............................................................nowhere......Outside a motorcycle.

it's atrade off,...................A good one for the money. But if your intent was to save money at all costs, you made a bad decision. A bicycle is what you are looking for.

( this is not to be mean, but is more of a lesson that many of us have learned from experience )

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 16:37:18 GMT, MUADIB® ran around screaming and yelling:

not completely true scott...having a more efficient engine that is

*much* larger than the stock mill, can actually mean increased economy along with the increased performance *potential*....but it is the tendancy to *use* that performance that kills the economy....there are many 2L+ engines with big HP numbers getting 30MPG on the highway with big cams, heads, exhaust, and big dual carbs... J
Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hey Justin, Given your other problems with the carb (the dying when you stop), maybe those dual carbs aren't such a bad idea after all :)

if I had to hazard a guess, I'd th> One reason why i bought a beetle, was to get the gas mileage (im a college

Reply to
Gary

It has counterweighted crank, stock cam, stock carb, larger bore heads, performance exhaust. I think its running rich right now, i might tune it down. But doesn't 17 seem REALLY low? What could be causing that, lets say in a normal, stock engine?

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Lead foot, dragging brakes, tires, jack rabbit starts & stops, etc.

Not tuned up right, timing off, carb not set up right.

List can go on & on.

Randy

RSMEINER

Not arguing the Larger engine being more efficient,..................I am considering the 1600 with larger jugs and pistons and all that encompasses the 1776 ........................typically.

in that I will add to my original statment..........

this is very generally the fact, there are exceptions.