1600 DP into 6 volt 40HP trans

Have a rail buggy with a 40 HP motor in it that blew. The buggy is based on a 40 HP, with 40HP suspension and trans. I also have a 12 volt 1600 Dual Port motor that runs.

Can I just put the 6 volt flywheel onto the 1600 motor and fit it to the buggy?

Craig

Reply to
Craig Baker

Yes, that works and is commonly done. Use a 4-hole sealing gasket on the end of the crank and reset the crank endplay.

If you keep the buggy 6V, you will need a 6V gennie, 6V coil, 6V choke and 6V idle solenoid.

If you change over to 12V, you can run the starter on 12V OK.

Be sure to equip the 1600 with the "correct" pressure plate for the 40HP throwout.

See the 6V/12V conversion article on my web site for more.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim