1641 Carburation

I have just put the first 3000 miles on my new 1641cc. I am currently just running a Pict3-34 Carb, mostly for fuel economy reasons. I know that I am not getting the most out of this motor. I'm looking for a setup that will perform on a daily driver but won't kill my wallet. That would leave all the classics like IDAs out of the picture.

What single or dual carb setup would you run to get the most out of

1641cc daily driver that does not break the bank?

-- Chris

- Chris

----------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

eldgrim

If you are using a stock cam and stock distributor, you already have pretty much the best carb for that engine. Leave it be.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan, Here are some of the specs....

New AS-21 Case

69mm Volkstroker Crankshaft Scat C-25 Cam Shaft Bosch 009 Distributor Stock heads w/ Gene Berg Rocker Assemblies and lifter rods Melling Oil Pump Lightened Fly Wheel

There are 4 pages of parts down the each nut and bolt. I should also say that I am experiencing the dreaded dead spot in acceleration that comes with the Pict3-34.

- Chris

----------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

eldgrim

...close. This comes with the dreaded 009 =-) The 34 pict just allows it to be most noticeable. Anywho, back to your original question...carbas taht will not break the bank...and will also help minimalize the 009 flat spot....although any carb will work better with a better dizzy. Kadrons...bang fer buck leader. Not a "serious" performance carb....but plenty for your engine.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Ahhh, now it's opening up to me. In this case, yes you would like the Kadron kit for example. Cheap, and works pretty well. Virtually no intake /carb icing problems. The exhaust better be a 4-1 header type.

That can be fixed. If you have a lot of time to spend, we can talk by email. Start by adjusting valves first. Then... hmm.. I might as well write a small list of things to check:

1) carb accelerator pump actuating rod WEAR. Needs to have ZERO wear. As soon as you touch the accelerator lever, the pump rod must move and push the pump. If you haven't done anything about it and it's a used carb, it WILL be worn. 2) check accelerator pump nozzle, it needs to shoot a sharp, strong spray of gasoline, directed towarss the opening gap between the butterfly valve and the carb body. (as close to teh rear of the car as you can get it to go, without hitting anything before it reaches the butterfly) 3) adjust accelerator pump to give appropriate amount of fuel, usually with a 009 I would say it needs more, rather than less.

Take a look at your carb mixture screw adjustment. I assume you know HOW to adjust the carb properly. Now count the turns of the mixture screw, it should optimally be turned 2 and a half turns out to achieve the right mixture. If it took you considerably more, like 4 turns, then you need to replace the idle jet with a larger one.

One step larger on the main jet could also be worth a try, if it helped you get rid of the flat spot.

4) Last but not least, the 009 is adjustable. I'd rather not go into details without pictures, and I don't have the pics online yet. (Some day I will swrite a tech article on it). The idea is to mess with the counterweight spring pre-load until you get what you are looking for. (There's more, a whole lot more, but I'll spare you :) )

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It's the 009, not the carb.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
ilambert

Thanks for alll the information. I did not know that I would drum up all this discussion. I do have good news however...

I was digging around in a large box of parts that I got with the car when I bought it an just happened to come across a pair of 40mm Kadrons. All the pieces seem to be there except for the linkage. I think that I will rebuild and put new filters on them.

Time to decide on a Distro.... Thanks for all the responses.

- Chris

----------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

eldgrim

I have a 1641 with stock 34/pic 3 running a 132.5 main jet and standard vacuum advance dizzy. Economy is excellent, and no flat spots, go's up hills better than most cars I've owned, which is a good yardstick I guess! Untill I upped the jet size mine used to run hot on the motorway, some would even say a 135 is right, but mines fine even with a merged header which tends to lean out the mix. I would make sure all your tinwear is in place. I think it's commomly accepted (lol) twin Dell 36's are the best carbs for this size engine if you really want to change the carb.

--Steve

---------------------------------------- Aircooled flat 4 club South West UK

Reply to
tunafish

tunafish... I have the same carb setup as you do. How's your gas mileage?

-- 1641

-- Engle 110

-- standard header

-- 009

-- 34/pic 3, 132.5 main jet

-- 19mpg (+/- 1mpg)

-James

Reply to
JG

James, I'm getting 24-25mpg on mine right now but it seems to be getting better as I break in the motor.