1957 Beetle - advice for starting up?

I just brought my 1957 Bug home, and am going to try to start the engine.

Here's the info:

It has been sitting since about 1988. I bought it 2 years ago, and just moved it into my garage - a friend of mine stored it meanwhile. The engine is in unknown condition, but appears complete and original. It turns over by hand and seems to have at least some compression, though I haven't tested it.

I think I need to pull the carb and rebuild it before I try to start it up. It seems crusty, and doesn't operate very smoothly. Which carb is this? I'll also rebuild the fuel pump.

I am planning on buying a new battery and changing the oil, points and sparkplugs before trying it. Any other advice? Am I getting ahead of myself?

Thanks! James

Reply to
Rhino72

Hi, My dad and I drug out a bug we had in the back yard that had been sitting a long time. We found out it had water in it, so we changed the oil. He had me put automatic transmission fluid in the cylinders, because it was a cheap oil. The point of this was to lube the cylinder, and loosen any rust that may have formed. Before we turned it over, to help prevent rust from scouring the cylinders we filled them brim full. After a week we took the spark plugs out and spun the engine over with the starter. The oil sloshed out of the cylinders. Only thing i can think of.

Thanks, Mark Tuck

Reply to
Mark

Leave the plugs out. As you noted, change oil. Spin engine with starter or by hand. Squirt some oil in plug holes to lube cylwalls. It should build oil pressure (OIL light goes out) within less than a minute of cranking. There is no load on the bearings cranking like this so danger of any damage is small, aside from rings.

Yes, there are far more sophisticated ways to prep an engine before starting, but usually reserved for brand new rebuilds (read: expensive).

Rob and Dave have a helpful section on carbs:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks for the advice, Mark and Jim! That definitely gives me a starting point.

Re. the carb, do I have a 28 PCI or a 28 PICT, assum> Rh> > I just brought my 1957 Bug home, and am going to try to start the > > engine.

Reply to
Rhino72

Fresh gas and a new fuel filter might help

Reply to
Jim347a

another thing old cars that sat do is; the rubber lines in the brake system go bad. and the star adjusters in the wheels like to seize up. Good Luck. I love the ovals.

Reply to
Crusader george

I was resently given what turned out to be a real nice 61 beetle that a woman bought in the UK for export. She drove it a few years in NY. Her nephew brought it to NC 11 yrs ago. I pulled the plugs, did a compression test , then replaced them and also replaced oil and 6 volt battery and fired it up and drove it around the shop parking lot. It only took replacing a few brake line to feel safe to take it on a

100 mile trip.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys