1961 Volkswagen Beetle/Type 1

Was this a good year for the Beetle? What should people watch out for? How did Volkswagen squeeze out 4 more horse power out of the

1200cc from 1960 to 1961? What are the good points to this year Bug and what are the bad points? I'm thinking of buying one in original condition, mostly rust free.
Reply to
eastwardbound2003
61 is the 1st yr for the syncro transmission and last year of the snowflake tail lights. they also don't have a fuel gauge (easy to put in later gauge) what was cool about the 61 models is the had matching color accent running board rubber and fender beading.

I would say go for it, I had a seafoam green 61 last summer that sat for 10 yrs and had it running 30 min after getting to the shop.

Reply to
Kafertoys

I think if I saw a 60-61 in original condition and rust free I,d be approaching the missus on bended knee! In Australia at least when they started building locally the quality was not within kooee of imported cars. Top speed was less, rusty and I,m told ( but wouldnt swear by it) they started snapping crankshafts as they used cast cranks.

Reply to
John