1967 ball joint replacement

hi, I've done my own repairs and maint on old bugs since 1984, but have never done ball joints. they're worn on my 67 and i bought the new set already. can anyone give a synopsis of howw to do it? I already unbolted the ball joints themselves, but they seem to be pretty firmly fastened to the arms. How do you get them loose?

thanks

jake

Reply to
jacob.ritorto

You need a 10 Ton Hyd press. Yes!

And tooling to fit the various diameters so you don't damage the new joints/boots.

It is not a fun job and can be dangerous when the stuff lets go.

Find a shop that will do it...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

listen to Jim, he would never steer you wrong...... you can bend the trailing arms, damage the new balljoints, or lose a limb if you have a "whoopsie"....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I've met some that took 13 tons of pressure.. Have a shop do it.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

wow 10 to 13 tons, I have a VW hand tool that will remove/ install them with out removing the trailing arms off the beam. But it is easier if you have a press.

Reply to
Kafertoys