1970 VW Beetle

I'm 16 just got a 70 vw beetle 1600 dual... its been sitting 6 years had oil change and ne distubutor before it was parked, i put new lines (fuel),plugs. And it started, NOW i need to do the oil change, if it had one 6 years ago, would they have installed the fram spin on kit? if not, have you ??? if so how hard was it???

Thxs

Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

Also, how hard is it to change the oilbath air cleaner to a air filter like this...

wut else would i have to buy???>

Reply to
Scotty

Also, how hard is it to change the oilbath air cleaner to a air filter like this...

wut else would i have to buy???>

Reply to
Scotty

Congrats on your terrific find!

That 6 year old oil is probably still good. If you change it you'll need the gasket kit for the drain plate. And great care not to strip the tiny threads on the studs.

IMHO there is no need for any kind of filter unless the engine is running in especially dusty air.

There. That should initiate some kind of flame. LOL

DO get yourself a helpful shop manual or at least the Muir Idiot Guide.

Best luck ,

Speedy Jim visit my site for electrical info:

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

where can i get the gasket kits and about how much are they?

Reply to
Scotty

where can i get the gasket kits and about how much are they?

Reply to
Scotty

where can i get the gasket kits and about how much are they?

Reply to
Scotty

Negative... the engine has probably seen a few cycles of temperature and humidity changes, and as a result, water most likely has condensed inside. You may have severe rust problems, but even if you ignore that, there's probably a good deal of water in the oil. Change it to be safe.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

iight, thats my plan, where can i find the filters for it??? or where can i find the spin on kits?

Reply to
Scotty

iight, thats my plan, where can i find the filters for it??? or where can i find the spin on kits?

Reply to
Scotty

iight, thats my plan, where can i find the filters for it??? or where can i find the spin on kits?

Reply to
Scotty

'

Jan

Depending on where you live, there may be a local parts house that stocks basic VW stuff. Call around if you don't want to wait for a mail order.

Or GOOGLE: VW Parts Probably ein million hits

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I have a 1970 1300. And I've never seen a spin on filter on it. Bugs did not come with a filter. If yours have a filter adapter, it's probably some mod a previous owner did. The gasket set can be bought on any FLAPS that has acvw parts. I don't know in the states. but here in the caribbean you can get a gasket set for the equivalent of 60 cents, make that 80 if you don't like brazilian ones.

hope this helps, Karls

Reply to
Karls

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

Reply to
Scotty

any auto parts house can order you the gasket and screen set (the screen is basically the filter for a bug) ... for about 14$ ... go ahead and change the oil ...

as for changing over to a normal air filter from an oil bath ... all my cars that had oil bath i just pulled it off ... and put a normal on in it's place ...

Reply to
Flea