1971 Super tunnel question

I am in the slow slow process of restoring a 71 super...noticed today that the front 5-6 inches of the tunnel is rusted through... i guess what i need to know is, is that part of the tunnel just sheet metal covering or is it so structural that any repair will be a major undertaking?? BTW the pan is off of the car already...

it almost looked like I could just cut out the rust and weld in a new cover...anyone have any suggestions??

Normally i would cut my losses and sell the car for parts, but it was my dads and I would like to get it on the road again someday...some year.

Reply to
DPWeber

Called the "frame head". The bottom cover plate acts as a stiffener but as long as the frame hasn't been deformed from an accident, the bottom cover can be welded.

Get thee to this forum:

"Framehead" or "Frame Head" Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I suggest finding the replacement sheet metal from a doner car. and this should be done by someone with experiance, this is a vital area of the frame. I have done the repair work you are talking about and it will take some dedication to do it right.

Mario V.W. Resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

I suggest finding the replacement sheet metal from a doner car. and this should be done by someone with experiance, this is a vital area of the frame. I have done the repair work you are talking about and it will take some dedication to do it right.

Mario V.W. Resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

That was my thought too, but living here in Wisconsin any donor car will be as bad off or worse. I just got done cutting out the rust and found the wonderful sight of bad rust on the top 1/2 of the frame head, and i also noticed that someone in the past tried to reattach the front floor pans and the frame head and did it with as much bad welding as possible. How is the frame head attached? looks like it is welded to the tunnel and the floorpans..is there more to it that I cant see?

I can do the work...been a mechanic for 10 years and have fixed worse messes, of course its easier when you just walk to the parts room to get new parts...paying for it yourself sucks!

Reply to
DPWeber

DP: Are you familiar with the ACVW junk yard near Sparta? It's the place I found the split-window Baja bug.

Nope. That's it.

BTW - the guy who owns the Sparta property is a 35 year veteran chassis builder. He can weld up a new frame for a Bug blindfolded. Ah, if you meet him, beware that he is stone deaf. :)

Reply to
2

Nope, didn't know about it...I was getting parts as needed from a vw mechanic here in Oshkosh but, they are trying to sell the business and they closed the doors. they have a building in back that is full of VW parts that they have been saving since the 70's even have a 76 beetle there that burned out, only thing left is the steel of the car but the car only had 600 miles on it when it burned up. Even now they still don't want to sell any of the parts they have, or at least its hard to get them to...

Reply to
DPWeber

Also, do you have any contact info or an address for that guy in Sparta...and are his prices pretty cheap? If he had a pan there that I could hack off the front clip that would save me some cash. Was just looking at the map...Sparta is by Ft McCoy which has open house in May that my son wanted to goto, my dad was stationed there during Korean War,. that would be good timing..!!

Reply to
DPWeber

I would be willing to cut what you needed off one of my parts cars and ship. you can e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com to work out details

Mario Vintage Werks Resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

Mario...you got any late model Karmann Ghia's with a good left rear quarter? (inner and outer)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani