1971 transporter

heres my story outline version...

a. left ignition key on over weekend

b. did not realize ignition was left on when i went to start engine monday morning

c. used my 'quick start' jumper device(from costco)to start engine

d. drove to work ok,couple miles, generator light stayed off so charging seems to be working. but still not enough juice to start engine at end of day, so use quick start to start again.

e. get home, charge the battery, install battery and engine starts real easy. red generator light flickers on and off, never solid... i suspect fan belt is loose,so i try to tighten with new shims...crank over engine, generator light still flickers on and off

f. 3 wires on top of generator, two on trminal lugs on top are tight...one towards the fan housing on top of generator, maybe ground is loose...i tighten it down and generator light stays red....

g. any suggestions?...maybe the brushes? is there a way to trouble shoot? the engine is in a bus, so you know how hard it is to get to different parts....

Reply to
keroac

Doesn't leaving the ignition on burn up the points? Andy

Reply to
Busman

You have to check the regulator. Maybe you have burn it.

Jo=E3o

keroac escreveu:

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Look on my web site for: "How do I test my generator?"

Follow the steps exactly.

---------- I'm just guessing here, but it's possible that internal wiring of the generator got damaged when you were "tightening" the screws.

But the generator test will help you decide whether the problem is in the generator or the regulator.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

this morning i started the bus and the red light did not come on...then about 1/2 mile down the road it begins to flicker...i thought maybe increase rpm's would correct problem, but still flickers..at work today so i will not be able to test till later tonite or the weekend..thanks for help suggestions...any others, greatly appreciated....thanks

Reply to
keroac

I don't know about the points.

I left the key on in a late 60's bug and took out the regulator and the coil.

- Bill

Reply to
William J. Leary Jr.

I'd check the spring tension on the brushes in the generator as well as the rest of the checks Quick James suggests. It may charge well when cold then as the springs warm up, lose their tension and contact. Of course as usual, the tip/suggestion is free. I hope it is more than worth what is paid for it.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

I'm curious - how many people here have those little plastic covers for the openings in the generator where the brushes are found?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I still have mine on my 1971 standard!

Fweem.

Reply to
Dave Tosi

Eight. Nine if you count the one in my garage.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB

The ninth person is in your garage?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

The ninth person is in your garage?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

actually I was speaking about the engine in the garage,........Maybe I should check though........... Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply