1972 Beetle tire options

I was looking for tires for my 1972 Beetle, of course I became confused. What do you recomend for use on Standard rims. Something for a nice ride, safe, good all around summer tire. Cost is a factor - under $50.00 per tire would be nice (I found Kumho Euro Metric 165-80 TR-15 for $27.00 each but they are out of stock and may not be available any time soon = ever).

Kevin

Reply to
KARL HUNGUS

I was looking for tires for my 1972 Beetle, of course I became confused. What do you recomend for use on Standard rims. Something for a nice ride, safe, good all around summer tire. Cost is a factor - under $50.00 per tire would be nice (I found Kumho Euro Metric 165-80 TR-15 for $27.00 each but they are out of stock and may not be available any time soon = ever).

Kevin

Reply to
KARL HUNGUS

Reply to
john

165/65 for s steady ride. The 80 profile tires are too tall for my taste, makes them wobbly.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I got my 165/15's from Pep Boys, and they were about $40 apiece. I had trouble with the installers' idiocy, and sometimes older rims are BENT, but the tires are okay after 3 years... if 165's are difficult to find, I THINK 185's will go on 5.5 stock rims, which is what you SHOULD have...

Reply to
pmbedard

Tire Rack was recommending 185-65 HR15's as a possible replacement - what do you think about this? They seem they would be much wider and not as tall. Would it mess up the Speedo?

Reply to
KARL HUNGUS

"pmbedard" wrote

Stock '72 rims are 4.5".

Reply to
Scott H

Stock '72 rims are indeed 4.5 inches. I would NOT mount anything wider than 185 on a stock rim, and preferably it should go on a 5.5 inch rim. You can buy stock-look replacement rims that are an inch wider. 185/65/15 will make you think you're going a little faster than you are, but not by very much. For example, you'll think you're going 62-3 when you're going 60. Many people have mounted 185's all around, and say it works very well. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Me included. For everyday driving, this is my suggestion. BUT on 5.5 inch rims!!!

The tire shops here refuse to mount 185's on 4.5 rims, saying it's unsafe and illegal. Even 175's will look funny, and most likely they won't perform exactly the way they should. The sidewalls would be bulging out and that's gotta do some damage in the long run, or make the tire behave in an unpredictable way.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Kevin- I recently purchased these for my wife's 79 convertible. I spent a long time looking locally and couldn't find a 165R15. These were recommended to me in this newsgroup. They're mounted on new wheels also purchased but not yet put on the car as its in storage until the ice melts in the Norhteast. Consequently I can't give you a ride report on them...but they sure look nice sitting in the garage!

These guys also sell a complete package of chrome wheels with tires mounted/balanced for reasonable money.

HTH-

GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

Fill in the blanks and you'll find out.

EuroBug

WOW!! $40 at Pepboys? Geesh. I buy the stock 165/15 at the Pepboys here for around $27. I have stock wheels on my 72 sedan and 8 spoke Empi's on my '72 vert (5.5 rim) with 195/60/15 Yokohama's. Love ' em!

Narley Dude®

BTW The Pepboy tires are actually pretty decent, and great value for the $$$

Reply to
Narley Dude®

I'm impressed for a change. Nice web link!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

Damn - No Pep Boys in Wisconsin

Reply to
KARL HUNGUS

As long as cats aren't involved we're cool :-)

Reply to
EuroBug