1994 Jetta Alternator problem

Over the last few days my 1994 Jetta has become progressively harder to start. Today it turned over slowly but did start, horn blew for 1 second. After about an hour of driving I returned home and shut motor off. Car would not restart, in fact starter wouldn't turn motor over, but there was a clicking sound from thestarter. This problem used to happen with my

1986 Jetta. It was usually the voltage regulator. The regulator in this car was easy to remove, only two screws. The regulator in my 1994 Jetta is a Bosch and I can't easily see how to replace the regulator. Any ideas? Thanks very much! John
Reply to
John Sutton

You should really take this to the watercoled group, but to anskwer your question, yes: its either the regulator or the battery thats gone bad.

Start the car with a jump, then test the voltage at the battery with the engine running at 2500rpm. Should be around 14 volts. If its lower that 13, your regulator or the whole alt is bad.

One thin to try before changing parts is to see if the bat light turns on with the key on but the engine stopped. If its burnt out or disconnected, the car will not charge at all..

Reply to
Eduardo