1998 Passat, Oil Pressure Light When Hovering at 1600 RPM

I have a 1998 Passat GLX with the 2.8 V6 and a 5-speed trans. It has 83K miles and has had all regular and preventive maintenance performed religiously.

Recently, I've had the oil light come on (seemingly) intermittently... usually when coming off the freeway and then slowing down. It's been into my regular shop (maintaining this car and other Passats) and the dealer at least three separate times. I've checked/done all the following:

Oil Level - good Oil weight and change history - good... I've been running the VW/dealer recommended since I owned the car. Previous owner was fanatical and he works in the office next door. I have all of his maintenance records. Oil and filter - changed each of the three times Oil sensor switch - replaced. Pressure checked mechanically at, above, and below 2000 rpm.

No mechanic has been able to duplicate the problem although the acknowledge it exists because I've been on the phone with them when the light/beep has occurred.

I learned something interesting last night on my commute home and I can now duplicate the problem... although I have no idea about the cause.

If I hover at 1600 RPM for 2-3 seconds, I get the oil pressure warning... EVERY time. If I'm just passing 1600 (up or down, fast or slow) I don't get the light. It also seems I don't get the light in the first few minutes of driving -- even when hovering at 1600 for longer thant the 2-3 seconds. But, as soon as the engine/oil is warm, I get the light at 1600.

I'm scheduled to go back to the dealer early next week. Until then, I'd really appreciate any insight.

Until now, I've shut the engine down immediately every time it occurred. I've even had it towed to the shop twice. Now, I just avoid hovering at 1600 and I never get the light. Should I be concerned about driving it if I'm not getting the light (but, obviously there is some problem)?

Reply to
cbdunn

This the air-cooled group. Try the water cooled goup next door - rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled. You would get a better answer there. Now if ya had an old aircooled beetle question then we'd be more than happy to assist.

Good luck on the oil problem.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen