2000 Golf alarm problem

My 2000 Golf seems to have an alarm problem. Its been fine since we had it from new, but today it decided to sound the alarm several minutes after the car was locked/set. Never done it before, but has done it several times this evening. No wind, and no other apparent reason.

Can anybody offer any clue as to why it's doing it, and how we can fix it please?

Thanks

Peter

Reply to
Peter P

Is your battery low ?

Randy

RSMEINER

Have you got a silly swinging air freshener mounted on the rear view mirror?

Has the car got too much water in it?

Are you in the correct newsgroup?

Reply to
Neil

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 08:12:15 -0000, "Neil" ran around screaming and yelling:

it has always been acceptable when a *regular* ramva poster posts questions(OT) about thier watercooled cars...why is it different for Pete? JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Thanks for the help guys. Battery OK, no swinging air fresheners, but the local VW dealer did say something about posssibly water getting in somewhere at the tailgate. Asked if the rear wipers were still working. Said water could be shorting the sensor. Some improvement today - no rain. Could be that, but I don't quite follow what the garage was on about. Sorry if wrong newsgroup - didn't mean to upset anyone.

Peter

Reply to
Peter P

Some times if the battery is down a little bit, it triggers false alarms. Things that can drain the battery a little bit are digital clocks, digital stereos and even the alarm systems.

Randy

RSMEINER

Didnt know he was a regular poster to here, and subject wasnt labelled Off Topic. was merely advising that the correct newsgroup would be more likely to illicit a good conclusion.

Sorry for being helpful

Reply to
Neil

He didn't mark the post as OT.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 20:07:23 -0000, "Neil" ran around screaming and yelling:

i was mistaken on who the original poster was....sorry for that, but i do beg to differ on the "sorry for being helpful" part....had your original post sounded like this one it would have been more "helpful" but ">Have you got a silly swinging air freshener mounted on the rear view mirror?

Has the car got too much water in it?

Are you in the correct newsgroup?"

is far from "helpful"... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 18:22:54 -0400, "Karls Vladimir Peña" ran around screaming and yelling:

neither did *any* of us that responded.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

OT addition follows:

My bug dual quiet pacs and a merged header. When she's cold, she's a bit loud on the low rumble, but little top-end and not close to fweem...

3 spaces over to the right is a white lexus. Each time I start my bug, the lexus' alarm goes off. Rather amusing ;) I keep telling the owner each time I see him. He still hasn't fixed his alarm...
Reply to
David Gravereaux

You are right. thanks

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:00:03 -0800, David Gravereaux ran around screaming and yelling:

when i was a teenager i ran a stinger on my bug...had the big cam, big carb, and nice heads...sounded NICE...used to set off alarms all the time...especially aftermarket ones...hehe...i loved it....there was one fellow in particular that *hated* me....he had an alarm with a pager taht would page him when his alarm was triggered...he used to run outside everyday as i drove by and shake his fist at me...i would laugh because i knew his mr2 had the crappy alarm and i made sure i was in the left lane everyday...hehe....im over that now..(have i outgrown that sort of thing?) JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I had a similar problem with almost every car 50 meters around. My stick muffler had a small hole caused by a stone, I mean a SMALL hole, but it had a really loud attitude. hehehe, it was really fun.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

On 06 Feb 2004 00:34:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kidd Andersson) ran around screaming and yelling:

hehe...i won't killfile you....but your "crusade" to make me a more marketable product is doomed to fail... JT(who's not so cute)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Just to finish off, thanks for the advice, and sorry for posting to the aircooled group - must get my eyesight fixed, or wake up. For what it's worth, the fault seems now to have gone completely. Looks like the bloke in the VW dealership was right about the water in the sensor. Had been heavy rain, but now drier and must have dried out. Never done this before, but this is the first time car hasn't been garaged.

As for aircooled, best car we ever had was a 1973 1300 Beetle, bought new, 90,000 miles on the same clutch, and sold 13 years later for more than we paid for it when new. Brilliant car - only replacements were tyres and exhaust (stainless one lasted 10 years). Have to say the Golf Mk 4 is also a great car, but when you see the VW reliability ratings these days you have to wonder where German engineering is going wrong. VW's attitude to its customers in the UK is also pretty shabby these days compared with the way they used to be (for example, total failure to sort out a known locks problem on many of their cars), and as a result the next car will almost certainly be Japanese. Shane really.

Reply to
Peter P

Do you park the car in a garage?

Make sure that you lock the car and arm the alarm system. The car uses something called a CAN Data Bus (Controller Area Network). If there is no signal that the alarm is armed, the control modules will not go into a "sleep" mode, or low power consumption. Frequently happens when cars are parked in a garage at home.

- Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman