34PICT and SVDA dist.

I recently purchased a 74 SB. The last time I owned an aircooled VW was 25 years ago and it was a 1967. I live in the central valley of California and it is quite warm now and rarely gets below freezing even in the dead of winter. The car is driven daily to and from work but the one way distance is quite short, about 10 miles.

I just put a new SVDA distributor in. The carburetor is a Mexican

34PICT-3. There are two vacuum ports, one at the rear and the other on the left side. Additionally, there is a port on the vertical portion of the intake manifold.

I've been reading a number of posts on the SVDA 34PICT-3 combo and trying to determine how to connect the vacuum hoses. Right now, the hose on the left hand side carburetor port is attached to the port on the distributor. The rear carb. port hose is connected to the intake manifold and there are no hoses attached to the air cleaner although I think it is original and does have two connections.

When 1st started, the car runs rough and will not idle until thoroughly warmed up. It stumbles a bit when starting up but then accelerates well.

I'm assuming that the hose from the intake manifold to the rear of the carb. is incorrect. Can I just remove the hose and block the intake manifold and rear carb ports? If I want to properly use the air cleaner, can somebody describe how the vacuum hoses should be routed.

Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
gerryc999

Your distributor vac hose is correct. Intake manifold vac port should go to the left vac port on the aircleaner. Right side aircleaner port connects to aircleaner snout. The carb port facing rear of car has to be plugged-it would connect to the retard side of a dual vac distributor. Ja

Reply to
Jan

Your distributor vac hose is correct. Intake manifold vac port should go to the left vac port on the aircleaner. Right side aircleaner port connects to aircleaner snout. The carb port facing rear of car has to be plugged-it would connect to the retard side of a dual vac distributor. Jan

Reply to
Jan

........foul you cheater !

...........As the number three all time leader in number of posts to this newsgroup, I'm protesting this double-posting tactic that you're now using to pad your lead.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

LOL

sorry, I don't know what is going on, I only sent it once! Maybe I should try to limit my responses to computer based clients only, and just read when I'm stuck using my cellphone :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan