4 Bolt Drums on early axles

Has anyone here replaced their 5 lug drums in the rear with 4 lug drums and hardware? I know the backing plates will bolt directly onto the axle tubes with no problem. My concern is with the axle length. When did VW (beetle) to a longer Axle? I currently have 65 axles and 1969+ rear drums which are wider. I am currently replacing the transmission (new) and have used my original axles as donors. I do have a spare 67 axles as well. Can anyone help out with the 'what fits' question? Thanks for your time.

Joel Bartlett

Reply to
jtbartlett

I have done this multiple times. The drums are different too. You have to have about 1.5 - 2" of the drum "snout" machined off to be able to use them with the short axles. Then it's not a problem. You can do vice-versa too, if the axle comes out too far from the drum, you just use a tight fitting spacer. (have one made, it has to be real thick material). I have done this too with success. Neither mods had problem with stripping or anything, up to 100hp. Keep the axle nuts TIGHT and axles greased where they go through the drum.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

in the usa you machine 5/8" to use 68 and newer 4 lug or typeIII rear drums(5 lug) or the 4 lug type III hat.. to use on short spline 67 and older.. 1 1/2 -2" is alot in my opinion.

Reply to
bill may

My conversion may have been way off :) Certainly closer to 1 inch. Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson