49 cable brake adjustments

How about the original 1939 manual? Go to eBay Item # 250100678225

Factory Workshop manual from 1960: Item # 200095514243

This site archives scanned copies of very old factory info. Can't say if you'll find just what you want:

A few sites with interesting info:

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi, I'm new here and have a question....

Anybody know how to adjust cable brakes on a 49?

Come to think of it, does anybody know where I might find a reprinted manual for this car?

Shane

Reply to
Shane Stroud

I have a Bentley manual that covers 54 through 79, and a factory manual that covers my 59, one more for my 69, and a Bosch fuel injection manual for my 79... but there isn't much out there for the early cars.

That 39 manual might have some pertinent info. I have seen reprinted manuals on Samba from time to time, but not usually complete ones. I may just have to get with Zarwerks.

Thanks for the links, Shane

Reply to
Shane Stroud

John at Zarwerks has scans of a 1945 manual here:

hth

Reply to
Scott H

Once you tell Zarwerks (John) that you have a '49, you will never get out of there! :)

Sheesh, what I'd give for a 49! Pictures! We want to see pictures!

Reply to
john

Alright, here's a pic of my cars, my wife, and me. In order, they're 49 Deluxe, 59 Ragtop (Judson supercharged, of course), 69 Hardtop (Judson as well), and 79 vert (absolutely still fuel injected).

john wrote:

Reply to
Shane Stroud

I think I hates ya. :D

Nice... very nice.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

damn fine collection you have Shane....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Happy to hear you guys approve. They're our kids.....at least until we have one of our own. But they're at least as demanding of my time as rugrats are.

Shane

Jan wrote:

Reply to
Shane Stroud

"Shane Stroud" schreef in bericht news:CCuRh.10677$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe23.lga...

DROOOL Awsome!

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

the cars are pretty cool too. Not sure if you noticed them there in the background :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

;o)

What year started Volkswagen exporting to the US? If the books are correct there is only one beetle sold in the US in '49 Your's? Or did you imported it later?

tia, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Guess it depends upon your source, but I've heard only one and I've heard two were imported. It doesn't matter much, as nobody knows what ever happened to most of the early Hoffman cars. Mine was brought over in the 80's, restored, shipped back overseas, and driven home to Wolfsburg at least once (for its birthday, I believe). Then it came back to the US, where it was sold once before I got it. I have the paperwork to show who originally bought it in Germany in 1949, but little else after that.

I usually take lots of grief from people for driving it. My thought is that it was built to be driven, so that's what I do. I took it on a 900 mile road trip once, and despite the crashbox trans, cable brakes, 6 volt lights, tiny single speed wipers, semaphore signals, no seat belts, and interior noise, it was a great trip. :) I'd do it again in a minute.

I do love that car, but it's not my favorite. I have to say that I truly love driving my 59 ragtop the most. The Judson supercharger gives it just a little more pep. And there's nothing like a ragtop.

Shane

bug '59 wrote:

Reply to
Shane Stroud