5 bolt standard wheels

Hi all, can someone tell me what year the wheels changed from the 5 bolt 'non vented' type to the 4 bolt vented? I think it may be '66 but not sure. I have a spotted a '67 beetle, but want the older style standard wheels but just realised it probably won't be a straight swap ;-(

Thanks

Reply to
Dave Angel

'65 was the last year of 5 bolt, solid rims. '66 and '67 used a 5 bolt, vented rim. '68 was the first year of the 4 bolt, vented rim.

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

Superb! Thanks for this. So I am guessing that the '67 Beetle I have seen for sale with 4 bolt aftermarket wheels must have a conversion kit or similar.

Reply to
Dave Angel
1967 was the transition year. If I remember correctly, '67 1500 used front disk brakes and 4 bolt vented rims (in Europe), while '67 1300 used 5 bolt vented rims. From 1968 all models used the 4-bolt pattern.

Bill Spiliotopoulos, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

In Europe.... I think pre-66 were solid smoothies, 5x205. Then 66 and 67 were slotted 5x205's.

68 and up were slotted 4-lugs, 4x130.

Exceptions exist, Europe got "standard trim" versions well into the

70's, with 5x205 rims, Skinny bumpers (no towel racks), and no body or lid trim. Window seals didn't have chrome trim either I think. But these had upright headlights, like all 68up beetles had.

In the US market, they probably never sold the "poor man's" stripped down version. And the upright headlights started a year earlier than in Europe, in 67. Not sure if the US 67 came with 5 or 4 lug rims...

Jan

Reply to
Jan