'61 Engine Removal Problem

We're taking the engine out of this beetle. We were able to remove okay 3 - 17mm nuts holding the engine on. We took the nuts from the 2 bottom bolts and the upper right(passenger side) bolt. Our problem is the top left (driver side) bolt. On the back side the bolt is not fastened by a hex nut like the other three. It looks like a round threaded casting on the casing but not a nut that is removable. As far as the bolt is concerned, there is a "knob" that looks like it was casted to keep the bolt from turning. So....you can't turn the bolt because of the "lock" and there is no nut to take off.

For the life of me I can't figure out how they got this engine in, not to mention...How can you get this out to complete engine removal

Anyone ever seen this? Have an suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
funkyarmadillo

that one (top left) has a bolt that comes through from the backside....it is just above the clutch release arm...couple extensions and a swivel help alot here....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Does not sound like a bone stock '61. The left side bolt should have a 17mm nut behind the fan housing.

If a later tranny has been installed, there is no nut but a round threaded casting (to use your term). The bolt is threaded in from the transmission side by reaching above the bellhousing. You need a 17mm socket with an extension and a 1/2" breaker bar. Takes a deft hand to finagle the socket into the correct location.

Get underneath with a bright light and remove the left wheel for better access.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim. We tried open end wrench and socket like you suggested. The problem is: there is some part of the casting (welded?) knub that prevents the head of the nut from turning, and in fact, prevents the socket from going on squarely. This bolt won't turn. Now I guess we can try to file the knub away. Seems laborious. But maybe that has to be done. Haven't tried to chisel off the knub. It's very tight quarters in there.

Thanks

Reply to
funkyarmadillo

Hmmmmmmmmm

File, grind, chisel, whatever it takes....

BTW, my mistake; it's not the tranny which has been replaced, but rather the engine. Not that it matters at this point...

I've long forgotten these details, but the '61 gearbox may have had a nub cast in to deliberately keep the bolt head from turning. It didn't matter in 1961 because the engine was designed to have a 17mm nut on its side. So, the bolt *needed* to be kept stationary. They must have used force of some kind to install that bolt with this engine.

Any chance you could hammer just the socket onto the bolt head? Oooooooooo......how about grinding the edge of the socket down to paper thinness? Might it go on then?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I would put the other bolts nuts back in so all the tension is taken off the upper driver's side. Make the problem bolt the first one to come apart. I am guessing that either the bolt could not have been tighten because of the knob or that the round casting was turned to tighten the nut. The round casting has shallow splines to prevent it from turning but if the previous owner turned it with vise-grips, the splines are gone. You may need to turn it with vise-grips.

After you get it all apart, you may want to make a spacer that fits > We're taking the engine out of this beetle. We were able to remove

Reply to
Robert

Good answer! I never even thought of someone turning the casting bit! Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Dig out the digital camera if you have one and post a good clear picture somewhere for the Samba experts to look over.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

damn it...the RAMVA experts....aaarrrrrrrgg........

Reply to
Mike64Bug

I'd put the bottom 2 bolts back in and leave them loose - just so they won't let the engine come out and jack up the engine with the floor jack and see if it's binding on the last bolt. Move it up and down while twisting side to side (tail pipes make great handles for this) and see if it won't shake loose. My 63 bus used to do this occasionally. Andy

Reply to
Busman