'62 Type 1 Winter Project: Bigger Engine (I think)

I have: '62 RHD Beetle, stock 40 HP. Simply underpowered in this killer freeway world. Actually a little dangerous-!

I want: a commuter that can cruise a bit faster, maybe an occasional burst to 70 mph. Disk brakes on front and dual master cylinder. Stock looking exhaust. 12 volt.

I wonder--what is a good fit in a later engine-? (tin, bell housing, etc.). Is there an aftermarket 5-speed tranny or conversion-? (seems i heard of this).

This car has been stored for a decade and I haven't kept up with aircooled Beetle stuff--i don't wanna sound like a troll. High fuel prices have been an inspiration to wrench this old unit again. If anyone has a name of, say, a good book or magazine article about engine swaps it would be appreciated. I want the car to look stock but be perky enough to get out of its own way--

Thanks--

Buzzy

Reply to
bz

Hey Buzzy, why don't you trade your bug for a type III squareback, fastback, or notchback? It will do all of the things you asked for and more.

Reply to
Paul Broadway

LOL! I liked the trade for a Type 3 idea.

If you get a bigger engine (think 1600), get a gbox to go with. Either a '67 or '68 (US) will have better ratios. And they are ready for a 12V flywheel.

AND.......if you're going to go faster, get a rear camber compensator to stave off the day when you roll the car over. (BTDT)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Well...I have had this car since 1977 and I'm sentimental. Used to be a daily driver up 'til about 1994. A right-hand-drive Bug is pretty cool to drive in the States, too. It's original.

I commute about 52--120 miles a day, depending on the job site. I have seen a few more old Beetles out lately--probably due to fuel costs. my Honda Civic does the job but it's bore.

I liked the suggestion of the 1600 & tranny--I will look into this. Thanx.

--BuzzY-

Reply to
bz

A stock 1600 dual port motor would do you just fine, and is no harder to install than the 1200 stock motor. Its a near perfect fit, actually. Stock parts are all you would need for the conversion. 12 volt starter, the correct throw out bearing, ect. Clearancing the transaxle for the slightly larger 12 volt flywheel is easy. Keeping the 6 volt system is an option, but why not move up to better electrics? Don't know that it would "burst" up to 70, but it would get there and stay there all day if you wanted it to. Add an 1835 and you have more power. 1915? Even more. More power = more bucks invested. Larger engines and more power require more fuel, but a well done 1835 is as economical as stock, with the added benefit of more power.

The 40 horse could be rebuilt, but parts are scarce for them. RHD is very cool! Where did you find that one?

Reply to
Ken S.

Good idea. Bump steer is not fun, it is dangerous! I had a 64 with a hopped up 1600. That was a scary ride on the back roads of Oregon and Washington. Ralph Nader could have made a case against VW, Triumph, Fiat, and others for their ill-handling swing axle cars. He went after GM because it paid better. Took VW till

69(excluding the 68 Auto-stick)to get away from the swing axle design. The 68 4-speed I had was a world apart from the ill-handling 64, because of the stock camber compensator.
Reply to
Ken S.

I'd go with a dual port 1600cc engine (stock), Late model (71 and later) doghouse fan and cooler and ALL of the tin (including lower cyl tin), stock carb, and a 1967 or 1968 transaxle (swing axle but 12 volt) (I recommend Rancho - 800-304-8726 or

They'll set you up with the right gear ratios too, very important! Just tell 'em what kind of motor you have and how you're going to drive the car). Go with a professionally rebuilt transaxle in any case- you only want to do this job once, and the buttery-smooth shifting will more than make up for the extra couple hundred bucks. You can run a stock exhaust (get a set of flared tips if you're going with stock muffler)

This setup has decent power, good mileage, and is a basically stock drivetrain from a later model beetle (good reliability). If you want a little extra kick, put in a set of 1.25:1 Ratio rockers.

I have this setup in my '59 convertible. Runs beautifully, gets 30mpg all day long.

----or the alternative: ----

If you're feeling adventurous, buy a 1970's beetle (standard beetle) with a crappy body and good mechanics, and swap the whole darn chassis. It only takes a couple dozen or so bolts and several strong friends. That way you'd have the best of both worlds: Classic body style, newer running gear!

I once drove a 1961 convertible on a '74 chassis and it handled the way I always wished an old beetle would.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave G