66 beetle hard to start after driving

looking for suggestions on why my 66 beetle is hard to start after it is driven it start fine after sitting about 10 min it has all new parts and its not the choke. please reply to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
PSwn2

I had the same problem when I picked up my '75 SB from the guy I bought it from. I think it was a combination of the timing and fuel adjustment. Both were out of wack. My bug is Fuel Injected and there is one adjustment screw on it that I messed with. I turned it all the way in until it seated, then backed it out 2 turns. I also adjusted the timing by turning the distributor until it was running real smooth. Runs and starts beautiful now. I just bought a timing light so I could make sure it's where it should be, but haven't done that yet. I think the hard start after it's been running problem has more to do with fuel adjustment though.

I would like to eventually change over to carb but heard it's not real easy since the tin would have to be altered to eliminate gaps around the engine. It has something to do with the engine compartment being a little different shape. I'm also curious about the possibility of using a earlier twin pipe muffler and heat exchanger set-up on my FI engine. Is that possible?

Blake

Reply to
Benson

I used to get vapor locks in hot weather . I would put a wet rag or rub ice cubes on the fuel lines coming out of the fuel pump and away I would go

Reply to
Da Surfers

I had the exact same problem. It is your starter. If you just replaced it, then it is faulty. My starter always worked OK, but after it got hot, forget it! wait to cool down and fine again. I replaced all of my electrical components one at a time with the starter being last thing I changed (cause it was the worst thing to get to) and it completely corrected the problem.

Reply to
Ken