'67 Beetle: Correct Tire Size

Hi, I found a pretty good '67 VW and need new tires. It has 5.60X15 now. I see about three common sizes of radials: 165X15, 155X15, and

145X15. Which is closest to my tire size? I like the original look of the 5.60s and don't want tires which look too big (diameter and/or section) but can't afford the price for 'classic' tires.
Reply to
Buick8

Have a look at Cooper Tires. They have 15 inch tires for VW at reasonable prices, and they are a reputable tire company, I bought a set of 4 for my '66 Squareback, I was very happy with them (unfortunately I don't own the car anymore).

Terry

Reply to
Terry

155 I think

jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

What is that 5.60? Inches?

If so, that comes out to 142 millimeters. In the dinosaur days, where did they measure width from?

Reply to
Seth Graham

The closest you can get to a 5.60x15 is a 155x15 radial. Lots of people do fit 165x15 as they are wider. Personally I wish I had gone for 155 instead of the 165 I have now, since they look more original.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Try www.coker.tire --- you can get the original bias ply and even wide whitewalls or the narrower ones.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks, everyone. I know about Coker Tire, but the "correct" tire is about $100 each, whereas I can buy the "almost correct" radials for $30-$40 each. I iwll look around for the 155-15 tires. Now, once I get the horn to sound, I am off to the safety inspection station!

Reply to
Buick8