'67 VW Crusing Speed

I will be going on a small trip for me but a seemingly long trip for my VW. It has a single port 1600, appearing to be all stock. I have aftermarket chrome half moons but the tires are just a little wider than stock. I also don't have a tach and other than me, I will have about 100 lbs of gear. So, for this 200 mile trip(one way) up and down a few hills during the summer, what is a safe cruising speed for the engine? I drove it 350 miles straight from Tucson to far West Texas at about 62/63 mph it over 100 degree temperature last year. Didn't seem to hurt it. So what do you think?

ilaab

Reply to
ilaab

Go for it.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I drove my 63 Bus with 1600SP from DFW to Tuscon, AZ (Jerome Jamboree) and kept it between 65 and 70 on the highway for pretty much the whole trip. It was in the upper 90s for the whole trip. No problems except a blowout on the continental divide on the return trip. I was very glad to be out of the bus when I got home though! Andy

Go for it.

Randy

Reply to
Andy

I drove to Iowa and towed a '64 Bug back to Chicago with my stock '67 Bug Convertible at highway speeds and hills were involved. 8^) I had no problems. I did make sure my engine was in tune though.

You should have no problems! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

entire manual:

Joey Tribiani

Thanks all for the advice. Also related, what is the redline for just a regular everyday 1600 SP? Myspeedo was replaced with a later year model which has an electric fuel gauge. I wouldn't mind finding some tach which would match the mechanical fuel gauge to the right of the speedo.

ilaab

Reply to
ilaab

You will not be able to over-rev it in the traditional sense due to the induction design. The optimal shift points are however lower than the maximum revs. If you download the manual it was linked to earlier you should be able to find it there.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

It would be a good idea to add an oil temperature gauge. It'll cost you about $45; you can probably get it cheaper on Ebay. The faster you go, the more the oil temp rises. As the temp exceeds 230F you risk engine damage -- case warpage, burnt valves. I have read that the optimum operating oil temp for a VW is 180 to 210.

On a stock car you would have to research where to add the sender to the case. My VW has a VDO gauge and sender. Since I have a remote oil filter, I put the sender in a brass T between the oil pump and the filter.

Having an engine in good tune: valves adjusted, correct timing, good compression reading, un-dirty air filter, engine and spark plug seals in place, will help keep the temps down. If you drive it above 65 mph in

100F you may not notice any problems by the end of the trip but you may have shortened the life of some of the parts.

Randall

ilaab wrote:

Reply to
Randall

This one just happens to have an oil temp gauge but it stays mainly at 120. I have seen it get up to around 180 last summer but only at an idle after some freeway driving. Also, I'm pretty sure this has no special oil cooling devices added.

ilaab

Reply to
ilaab

I've driven my stock 70 bug through the last 27 summers here in DFW, both in rush hour traffic and cruising on the highway. No problems so far.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I'd be more concerned about head temps than oil temps, IMHO. You could have oil that's cool as a cucumber but heads that were virtually on fire.

Reply to
ryan68bug

I'd be more concerned about head temps than oil temps, IMHO. You could have oil that's cool as a cucumber but heads that were virtually on fire.

How is the stock cooling fan for this problem?

ilaab

Reply to
ilaab