67 VW with stosk 1500 and 30 PICT-1 Carb problem

Maybe Speedy Jim or someone else on the group can give me their input on a carb problem that I noticed today. After a 60 mile ride in my car at Freeway speeds-70-75 MPH, I pulled the car in the garage to change the oil and when I opened the engine cover the first thing I noticed in my inline fuel filter was that it appeared the fuel was still running through the clear plastic toward the carb almost as if it was under great pressure or as if it was boiling. I pulled the air cleaner off and looking down the throat of the carb, I could see gas coming out of the accelarator tube and dripping down onto the throttle butterfly plate. I thought maybe the float was stuck open or improperly adjusted. I tapped with a wrench on the float chamber and the flow seemed to stop. Should I rebuild the carb?, I would like to keep the stock 30 Pict-1 carb and it isn't availiable from any of the VW parts suppliers as far as I know. Thanks for your input on this problem. Fred 67 bug

Reply to
Vw67lives

Yes, the fuel *can* boil and create high pressure. This can force the float needle valve open, causing flooding.

That wouldn't explain the accel jet dripping though. In this case, fuel is boiling in the carb body passages and forcing the fuel out the jet. A tiny ball check embedded in the accel passage is supposed to at least help prevent that. It's very possible the ball was not seating fully and tapping on the carb seated it.

Even with the ball working properly, high temps will cause fuel dribbling.

(Just to be clear, there are 2 ball checks in the circuit and their primary purpose is to keep fuel from flowing back to the bowl. This makes the accel jet responsive to tiny movement of the accel pump diaphragm.)

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim