'68 Bus Heater Question: Asbestos

I am in the process of fixing up a '68 bus.

I thought I read somwhere a few months ago that the insulation around the heater pipe (underneath bus) is wrapped in Asbestos.

Is that true?

Thanks, Doug

Twisted Vintage
9*\I am in the process of fixing up a '68 bus./ 96+

The accrdeon tube that connects the heater pipes to the body has a white fiber sleeve in it where it meets the heat exchanger. It's asbestos. Later models used a bright orange rubber seal.

0+6

I don't know what the actual heat exhangers are lined with, they have a heat wrapping on the inside too.

Jan

(Excuse me the odd characters in this message, the puppy walked on the keyboard while I was away :) )

';[p] .0

10- .-*+941
Reply to
Jan

Wow, clever dog can hold a shift key too

james

Reply to
Juper Wort

Should I put on a dust mask and pray when I remove it?

Any tips anyone?

Reply to
Twisted Vintage

if you are worried - I think the precautions are to get someone else to do it ! Asbestos particles are too small to be stopped by a mask !

air fed will work, or a cartridge mask with the correct filter cartridge.

if you are going to do it, damp it down and wrap it in plasitic before you remove it - then put it in two plastic bags and take it to your nearest waste plant. and remember - your clothes may become contaminated.

Thats the standard advice for asbestos - but I dont know how much is on the bit you are removing ? Like old brake pads - many people dont bother with any precautions !

Reply to
tricky