'68 Vent Wing Lock Replacement

The vent wing locks on my '68 are broke and the previous owner rigged up some crap to hold the windows shut. I have new locks, but not sure how to get the old one's off and the new one's on.

Looking for help.

Thanks,

Fish

Reply to
Fish

Under the body of the lock there is a small cotter pin. It needs to be punched out to release the lock from its shaft. A spring steel wavy washer is located behind the lock. (For USA readers - the cotter pin is a spring steel roller pin split lengthways :-)

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Looks like mine are rivited. Now what? Replace the entire vent window with good locks?

Reply to
Fish

Fish, Do you mean where the brackets are mounted to the vent frame?

Grahame from Australia

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Yep.

I've been told these can't be replaced, but find that hard to believe......or maybe I'm hoping it's not the case:)

Reply to
Fish

Yes, they can be replaced. A bit difficult to remove the old rivets - hard stainless, and you will need to remove the glass and rubber seal, and then you have to make new stainless rivets. I have foumd it easier to remove the complete vent wing from the door to do this!

Grahame

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

If this isn't a show car and you just want functionality you might want to consider using something like these:

?ProductCode=VWC%2D111%2D837%2D602%2DF I can't tell them apart from original German vent windows except for the tiny writing on the glass that says "VW of Mexico".

Ted--77sedan

Grahame Rumballe wrote:

Reply to
Ted

Sounds like it would be easier to just replace the entire window assembly. There are several on the web. They don't seem to be to tough to find. Next years list of crap to replace.

Reply to
Fish