69 Beetle

OK, Illinois has some goofy laws. In order to title it, I must buy plates. In order to buy plates, I must have insurance. I can't drive it down to my insurance agent yet and I'm not sure what sort of insurance to keep on it while I'm rebuilding it.

I don't even think I can get AV plates now in Illinois without insurance. OTOH, I do have a nice pair of original 69 plates to put on it if I get it. (Going to have to wait until Tuesday to take action. Tomorrow I need to call the insurance agent and ask him what he thinks.)

Charles

Reply to
n5hsr

Get it insured on the phone? If you already have a policy with an insurer this advice is useless, but I got mine by calling geico, answering their questions, and handing over some money. Gave me a policy number and everything so I could please the DMV and go get my plates.

Few days later the insurers sent some forms to sign and my "permanent" insurance cards.

Illinois doesn't require "official" proof of insurance, just give them a policy number and they're happy. If you're at the DMV on a good day they might not even ask you for proof to begin with. ;) Last time I got new tags the lady never mentioned it and before I walked away I asked if I needed proof of insurance.. she just waved me off and said "it doesn't matter".

Get pulled over by a cop though, and he'll harass you something fierce about getting your policy number.

Reply to
sether

My insurance agent did not have to see my cars to issue a letter of insurance. If it is an agent with whom you have not dealt, they SHOULD let you get insurance if you bring the title (proving the VIN & ownership) and start out only purchasing liability. If I were an agent I would wait on Collision until I could verify that the car is not currently damaged... but if you know the agent, even a phone call with the info should be enough.

Good luck!

Reply to
KWW

Heck here in Tx. you don't even have to worry about all of that stuff. I got my 1973 bug 4 mo's ago and have just had the paper work setting on top of the fridg. When ever I want I can just put the title over into my name and get the plates later. As for insurance all that I have to do is show the card that I have already for the other cars. When I am ready to put it on the road all I have to do is call Allstate and tell them what I have and they will put it on the list and send me a card for it later. I am sure glad that down here we don't have to put up with all of the problems that everyone up North has to go through. Not even any state tax's to worry about. Winters mild and if it does snow it is gone almost as fast as it came down. About the only thing that I don't like about it around here is when people come down here from up north and try and change things. You all up north while you are trying to get around in the ice and snow just think of how great it is that I don't own a snow shovel.

Reply to
Packrat46

Well, I have been in DFW for 21 years now. Got here as soon as I could, though I sure wish I were in the snow and cold. I love it... but this has been a great place to raise kids, and keep cars from rusting!

Reply to
KWW

Well it has been wrecked, but I do not intend to put collision on it until it's reasonably well fixed up.

I've had to wait. I had to put a repair on my daily driver. (90 miles a day adds up fast.) Right half shaft went bad less than a year after I replaced it. Must not have been a good replacement part.

...._0( (Sad skin diver)

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Ok this is a common problem

Easy enough fix, call your insurance agent and ask to put another care on your policy and what your rate will be .

My rate actually dropped when I added my 70 bug.

They should only ask for vin # and make and model.

If they require you to go to the dmv. Go and take release of liablility form with sales reciept. Even if it's a gift make sure it says gift.

You can get your name on the car and they will give you a slip to take to the insurance company.

I usually wait until the dmv is open on a saturday and get there early. that way you don't miss work.

I hope this helps Raul

p.s just get liability. I've been working on my bug for a year now and it hasn't touched the street since last labor day. I'm hoping for Christmas to do my test.

Reply to
slugbug

I found early afternoon, not so bad. after the Lunch crowd but before the get off early from work crowd. appointments are possbile but......

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace