70 Steering Box help needed

Guys,

I have about 8 inches of l=play in my steering, and the steering box is the culprit. I visually watched from under the car. The steering coupler has been replaced, and the swing lever is NOTR moving up and down. I tried to adjust the box, but the gear is all the way in.

Are these easy to rebuild? OR maybe i can take it off, disassemble, and repack with grease. What type of grease goes in it?

Reply to
vgonman

This link might help:

Guys,

Reply to
Jim347a

More info needed.

8 inches of play?? Does this mean at the extreme left and right ends of the wheel movement? If so, that is normal. The only place where play is minimal is straight ahead.

The box is almost impossible to rebuild. Parts are not available and even bushing replacement needs very precise reaming.

Often, play develops in the roller (side-to-side) and there is no fix for that.

The grease is "forever" and changing it will have no effect. It's a special grease and using any common auto greases can result in frozen steering in very cold weather. BTDT

Anyway, post back with what info you can gather.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Make sure that the pitman arm isn't loose and allowing the shaft to turn without moving the steering. BTDT very recently.

Also, check to make sure the cover on top doesn't have loose or missing bolts.

Reply to
Project Magnet #1