71 Autostick Update

Went by to talk to my mechanic today. He said I didn't have a Thermostate and that I didn't need one as it didn't get that cold. IHe things my over heating could be the RPM being to high. He showed me how to adjust that which I will do when I get back rfrom a business trip. And then take it on the road for a test drive.

Reply to
Noice87

The flaps inside the fan housing have to direct the air flow over the cylinders. All air deflectors are usually needed, especially the ones between the cylinders. I think the Type 3 style is better. Air has to be pulled into the fan housing with nothing blocking it. How are the vents in the engine lid? The fuel has to be delivered properly so it does not run in a lean condition. Also are you using the oil bath air cleaner? Does the exhaust sound or seem blocked? The ign. timing has to be proper, too retarded or too advanced is not good. The valves have to be properly adjusted. You need the proper oil for your climate.

Does the car freely move by hand even after running it for awhile? IOWs are the brakes dragging?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

RPM too high?? ROFLMAO

Even if the thermostat is missing, the flaps in the fan shroud could still be closed. Maybe there aren't any, maybe they aren't closed. Who knows. But I think the cooling system needs a very thorough look.

Another oddball possibility is a mouse nest inside the fan shroud or just above the cyl fins. Happens often to engines/cars left idle for even short periods. Very, very hard to spot the nest too.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Timing was checked and adjusted. I drove it and when I got back he said it sounded like it needed adjusting so he adjusted it and I took it out again. Lots more power this time. He said next time I bring my car in he would mark it with a red mark and check it again. He checked it this time outside where it was hard to see with the sunlight.

Brakes he said needed to be adjusted some and told me how to adjust them (Tighten so the whells do not turn and then back them off till they turn but have a little bit of friction)

When he took the engine apart he changed the manafolt as it was from a stick shift (Hole not big enough for vacum) Also changed the generator as the other one he said the brushing looked worn and wouldn't hold a charge as well. When he had the engine apart it was pretty dirt. We cleaned it pretty good.

He also mentioned Dirt dobers as a possible source of the problem

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87