'71 Beetle Starter motor probs

Hi guys, I have a 1971 1600s - nice little runner when running! At the moment starting it is a bit of a bugger. When the manual box is in neutral the starter motor screams and does not engage. Press the clutch and put into 1st with the clutch down engine starts. Any advice Cheers Bean

Reply to
nick.bean

My first guess is you should check the crank end play. Grab the crank pulley and push/pull (hard). The pulley should move something like the thickness of a hair. If you feel **lots** of movement, like 1/8", 1/4", etc., then the end play is waaaay out of spec. And you're looking at bigger problems than non-starting...

I don't mean to sound like a wet blanket; do the quick test I described and post back.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

While you are checking, look at the engine mounting bolts. If loose, they may cause too much play for the starter motor gear to contact the ring gear.

Fweem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Tosi