71 Brake Servo

Anybody got any suggestions where I can get a good brake servo for a 71 kombi?

Reply to
Craig or Meg Phalen

Maybe post an ad on:

If you don't find any sources at all, try this tip:

Date sent: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:11:13 +0100 Subject: Type 2 servo units, technical tip from a UK VW nut: From: Adrian To:

Hi there all you camper owners. The brake servo on my 1972 bay window was completely inop. and rusted out. Having been quoted silly money (£230+) for new ATE brake servo, which is

9" wide and hits one handbrake cable - (not 8" as the originals), I have discovered that the servo from a Mark 2 VW Scirocco is almost identical to the 8" original. I imagine this servo unit is the same on all Mark 2 Golfs and Sciroccos, and possibly many other VWs of this age, many of which are in scrapyards. The Type 2 master cylinder bolts on, and the 4 securing bolts to the chassis are identical. The only difference is the attachment where the push rod from the pedal joins the unit. This is easily adaptable with the right connector, as the rod link out of the servo unscrews at this point to allow another type of fitting. Or you can weld the original nut from your old unit onto this unsrewable link.

You may need to add a rubber protector of some sort to stop water getting in the unit at the waste-air exit point - I used the old rubber boot off my original to keep the original exit pipe arrangement.

So save loads of money and time being ripped off! A guy 'oop north' even quoted me £120 for an imported 2nd hand one - sod that. Ade

Reply to
Speedy Jim