71' Ghia original radio?

I'm looking to replace the current aftermarket radio in my 71' Ghia (convertible) with an original one. Does anyone know the exact stock make and model to look for? A general description would also be helpful and even better, a picture!

Thanks.

Reply to
Han

Scott, thanks for the links.

According to the list, the radio was most likely a Sapphire XIV, XV or XVI.

Another question. Where right and left speakers under the dashboard optional? Was the single dashboard speaker standard?

Thanks.

Reply to
Han

"Han" wrote

Hmm, I don't know. I would imagine that if the radios were always dealer installed that the speaker(s) was installed at the same time but that's just my guess.

Reply to
Scott H.

Scott,

Thanks for the pic!

Are you selling the radio or do you know of a good source? I'm looking for one that's in excellent or new condition.

Thanks.

Reply to
Han

"Han" wrote

No, this one's not for sale ... I think I'll hang on to it.

They turn up on eBay fairly frequently ... there's a few there now, including a XV:

*+radio&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=Search on various combinations of radio + volks* and vw. Also, search the classified ads here:
's usually several listed there at any time. If you're in the southeast US, there was a guy at the Rockingham show last month with some nice looking stock radios. Maybe he'll be at some more of the upcoming shows/swap meets in the southeast. There is a show at Darlington this weekend.

More references, I've not used any of these listed below, this is just info that I've gathered for future reference:

Wilford (Willy) Wilkes, Sr. Vintage Radio Shop Brisbin, Pa 16620

814-378-6149

Someone here at RAMVA (I think Bookwus?) highly recommends this guy: Ken Keller Audio Service Specialties PORTLAND, OR 97202

503.236.7275

I've also seen this guy recommended here:

hope that helps

Reply to
Scott H.

I'm on eBay everyday, but radios in excellent+ condition are few and far between (I'm very particular because my pan-off restored Ghia is worthy of nothing less.)

That's cool about the guy in Portland. I'm only 20 minutes from his location. I'm going to give him a call and see what he has available.

Thanks very much!

*+radio&ht=1&sosortproperty=1&from=R10&BasicSearch=> Search on various combinations of radio + volks* and vw.>

Reply to
Han

Not related to the Ghia radio, but I bought a Sapphire Radio at a swap meet for $2 and the guy said that it worked. My brother in law is really good at woodworking, so he was going to build me a small desk lamp with a wooden base, and mount the radio inside the base with a VW radio face plate so it would be as if it was installed in a the dash of a VW. He was going to put a small speaker inside the base of the lamp so I could turn it on and listen to the the sapphire while sitting at my desk. He knew how to do it, but not sure how he was going to get it to work while plugged into an electrical outlet. He tested the radio to see if it worked, and unfortunately it did not, so the idea never got off the ground. Might just be me, but the idea seemed kinda cool. :o) Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
Family Reunion Show Sept 21 2003 Cincinnati OH
Bill Berckman

doorbell transformer...?

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

Radio Shack has/had a real nice 110 to 12 and 6 volt adapter. I've had and used 1 for years for testing and running car radios and light bulbs.

Randy

RSMEINER