71 igniton key problem

I have a '71 that's under reconstruction. We've lost the key and need to move the car. (sold the house) Any way to get the key mechanism out of the steering column without destroying the world or at least the steering column?

Reply to
Not Me

The door locks are keyed alike. Take a door lock out and to a locksmith for a new key.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

| > I have a '71 that's under reconstruction. We've lost the key and need to | > move the car. (sold the house) Any way to get the key mechanism out of the | > steering column without destroying the world or at least the steering | > column? | | The door locks are keyed alike. | Take a door lock out and to a locksmith for a new key. | | Speedy Jim |

Thanks but unfortunately someone killed that option in a previous repair as the door and the ignition are not keyed the same.

Reply to
Not Me

Ummmm. Do what the thieves do: punch the lock with a screwdriver or drill it out. You can't release the steering lock unless the lock cyl will turn.

If you tow the car, you *could* disconnect the steering box at the rubber coupling...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

| > | > I have a '71 that's under reconstruction. We've lost the key and need | > to move the car. (sold the house) Any way to get the key mechanism out of | > the steering column without destroying the world or at least the steering | > | > column? | > | | > | The door locks are keyed alike. | > | Take a door lock out and to a locksmith for a new key. | > | | > | Speedy Jim | > |

| > Thanks but unfortunately someone killed that option in a previous repair as | > the door and the ignition are not keyed the same. | | Ummmm. Do what the thieves do: punch the lock with a screwdriver | or drill it out. | You can't release the steering lock unless the lock cyl will turn. | | If you tow the car, you *could* disconnect the steering box at the | rubber coupling... |

Punching the lock is what I'd like to do but I don't know if that would damage anything else that might be harder to fix. We can unhook the steering box but that would make it hard to maneuver out of a tight space. (Why is it everything that I do has to be complicated?)

Reply to
Not Me