71 SB Door Panel removal

Working on replacing bad parts on a 71 SB, and I'm to the point of working the doors. I've heard that there a lot of pain in the process. so, I was hoping that a few here could provide a few tips, instructions, tricks of the trade, recommendations, that would help me along.

Thanks jjjssssjjjooossseeeppphhh

Reply to
jjjoseph

There's a tool for popping the door panels off, usually available at an auto paint and body supply shop. I've been known to use a butter knife to carefully pop the first couple of clips loose, then gently pull the door panel near each subsequent clip to pop them loose. I'd recommend purchasing a new bag of clips and rubber boots (witch's hats) to replace the inevitable breakage - about $8 total.

Reply to
Malcolm

... And once you work around the outside of the panel and pop all of the clips, you'll need to lift the armrest .... there is a clip on the back of it that slides into a 'holder' welded to the door.

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Thanks for the help. I did see one clip and I wasn't sure what or how it secure it. So, basically the clip is in the panel itself and it just pops into the coresponding hole in the door itself??

What is the best adhesive to used to secure the vinyl to what appears to be masonite??

Thanks

Reply to
jjjoseph

Once you see the back of the armrest section of your current door panel, you'll know what I'm talking about ... it's rather hard to explain.

I've had great success with the 3M Super Spray Adhesive (I'm sure that's not the name, but it's pretty close). It's rather pricey, but it sprays well and holds very well. I've used it on heavy vinyls, thick cloth, and carpet very successfully.

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis